If you are amongst some advanced Android users who like to hack their Android OS then Clockworkmod Recovery is the perfect start for you. Clockworkmod Recovery is a custom recovery that helps you to install Custom kernels, ROMs, various scripts etc. on your phone. Now what these things are? Well, there meanings are very simple. We’ll go one by one.
Custom Kernel is a modified version of a stock kernel. It is tweaked such that it improves system performance, manages RAM and heap size and does many more things. Some of the kernels are meant for overclocking / undervolting the device i.e, it increases & decreases the initial processor frequency with increase in performance and battery life respectively.
Custom ROMs are modified version of the Original Stock ROM or AOSP ROM. They are modified in order to increase performance and stability of the system. And Custom Scripts are made according to the requirement.
CWM not only does these things but also can be used to backup and restore the whole system. Step by step guide is written ahead on how to install Clockworkmod recovery on T-Mobile Galaxy S4. Follow it and enjoy flashing Custom ROMs, kernels & hacking scripts..
Disclaimer: We have tried our best to make this article perfect. If you’re a beginner and don’t know what Clockworkmod recovery is , then it’s better that you should first get the information on the same. This guide is intended for advanced users. If you brick your phone by performing the steps given this article, whole responsibility will be yours. We’ll not be responsible for any damage. Although the chances are very low.
This guide is intended for T-Mobile Galaxy S4 SGH-M919 only. If you aren’t sure about your device, you can check it this way: Home Screen –> Settings –> About device. However, if you apply it on any other device than mentioned one, there are high chances of bricking the same.
- T-Mobile Galaxy S4 SGH-M919 (Of course).
- Windows based Laptop or PC.
- USB Cable to make a connection between the phone & Computer.
- Odin Muti Downloader Tool (link is mentioned in Downloads).
- Odin Flashable CWM package (link is mentioned in Download section).
- You should charge your device at least up to 65% battery level.
- It is always recommended to backup all your data from internal storage memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.).
- Device specific drivers (Samsung Drivers) are necessary and must be installed on your computer in order to make the phone recognized by PC (Odin Tool). You can install them by installing Samsung Kies. Download Kies from here. OR Download appropriate device drivers (according to Windows architecture, you’re running) directly from the links mentioned below:
- Windows 32 bit x86 drivers
- Windows 64 bit x64 drivers
- Disable all security related softwares (like Antivirus) installed on your PC.
- [Important] Before you proceed, ensure that you’ve rooted your T-Mobile Galaxy S4 M919. If you’ve not done this already, follow this guide for the same.
- Firstly, turn off the phone completely. Enter into download mode. For doing the same, press & hold Volume down + Home button (Middle one). While holding both buttons, simply press Power key till you see the warning message appeared on your phone screen. Press Volume up to continue. Finally you’ll see the Green Android robot & downloading… text written below it. It means your device has entered in download mode.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader tool on your Computer (which you’ve just downloaded) & connect the phone using USB cable.
- If your phone is connected successfully, youll see that the ID:COM section (located at top left) is turned blue with a random COM port number appeared below it. Also, you’ll see “Added” text appeared in message box (If your ID:COM box doesnt turn out to be blue, don’t worry. Just install Samsung drivers using the link mentioned in Pre-requisites).
- In Odin, tick PDA tab & choose “recovery.tar.md5″ file. Keep all the remaining options as they are & make sure, you have NOT ticked Re-Partition box.
- Finally, hit the Start button to initiate flashing process of Clockworkmod Recovery on your Galaxy S4 M919. Wait till Odin finishes its task. When flashing process gets done, Odin will display the ‘Pass’ message above ID:COM (with the Green background color) & device will restart automatically.
- (Conditional) However if your phone gets stuck or you get a fail message then close the Odin window, detach phone from PC, remove battery and re-insert it and follow above procedure again.
- Unplug the device from Computer (only if you get pass message in Odin).
- To check if CWM is installed correctly (OR to access CWM), perform these actions on your phone:
- Switch off the phone.
- Press & hold Volume up + Volume down button and by holding the two, press Power key till you get into Recovery interface.
Nice Job! Clockworkmod recovery or in short CWM is now successfully installed in your T-Mobile Galaxy S4 M919. If you’ve any questions / problems, let us know them through comments, we’ll try our best to solve it as soon as possible. Enjoy!
And lastly, don’t forget to +1 this post on Google+.