Life is updating day by day and so are the Smart phones. The phones today are compact with tremendous amazing features that many of the Android addicts are attracted towards them. But with the fast going life and with the changing trends these features are further improved timely by more sizzling and stunning features which in turn helps to improve the performance of a particular device to a vast level. So basically for boosting performance of a device, the features are improved via timely updates.
Android 4.4 KitKat which is the latest version until now was released a few weeks ago which took Smartphone to a completely new level. Google released it officially for few of the flagship devices including the Nexus devices. The official updates for other devices will be released soon. Leaked news from Samsung suggests that the Android 4.4 could arrive in starting of January for some their flagship devices including Galaxy S3 I9300. But note that this news is not yet confirmed by the company.
Rather than waiting for the official update to arrive, it’s better to go for the un-official ones. Many third party Android developers have been constantly working on new custom ROMs in order to provide the latest Android 4.4 KitKat experience on many devices. Similarly the Team Douche has released the Cyanogenmod 11 running on the latest un-official Android 4.4 KitKat update especially for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 users. So the S3 users can now enjoy and experience the all new Kitkat features including the refurnished home screen, new dialer app, new themes which can change the look of everything on your device, low memory management support, new gallery, keyboard, security and system improvements, new customization and battery saving tweaks. With its blazing speed it can make your slow and laggy device a much more usable.
Note that this build of CM 11 is in its early stage hence not much stable and may contain few bugs. Still if you want to experience the latest Android 4.4 KitKat via Cyanogenmod 11 on your Samsung Galaxy S3 then follow the further given steps properly.
If you are an advanced Android user and have a complete knowledge about this stuff then no worries, you can freely go through the procedure for installing the update. But if you’re new to this stuff and are not at all aware of this kind of thing then do follow all the steps and procedure wisely and carefully. Even a single change can highly damage your device permanently. If so happened, even though the chances are very few then neither we nor the developers are responsible for that. So follow all the instructions properly as they are mentioned and without attempting anything by your own.
Everything given in this article is only intended for Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300. So trying this on any another device or variant may result into unwanted outcomes or bricked device. You can verify the given number with your device’s model number from Homescreen–> Menu–>Settings –> About Device.
- There are chances of interruption of the installation process due to low battery life. Hence it is strongly recommended to charge the battery of your mobile at least up to 80%.
- For improving your battery life, follow our guide:
- How to Improve Battery Life of an Android Device (Tips).
- At the end of this procedure you need to wipe all the data currently present on your device. So for that a backup of entire important data including contacts, SMS/MMS and call logs etc. to external memory card or on your PC is must.
- For backing up Contacts & Messages, refer our article:
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- For backing up Call logs, APNs & EFS folder, refer our article:
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- You can’t proceed to the further installation process of flashing CM11 unless a CWM/ TWRP recovery is installed on your Galaxy S3. If you haven’t installed one yet don’t worry, just follow this guide for installing CWM and this guide for installing TWRP.
- Download the CM11 ROM from the given link below:
- Click Here to Download (download 1st one from the list)
- Download the Google Apps containing Gmail, Play store, Google+, maps etc. from the given link below:
- Click here to Download
- After downloading CM11 package and GApps, connect your device to the computer, enable MTP mode for accessing internal/external storage and transfer both these files on root directory. This is recommended as root directory is the most convenient location for accessing when in recovery mode. Remember not to extract these files.
- After doing this disconnect your device from PC and switch it off completely. Now you need to enter into the recovery mode that you’ve installed earlier. So the recovery mode can be entered by holding Home Button (middle button) + Volume Up + Power Button simultaneously until you see Samsung galaxy S3 on your device. As soon as it appears release the Power key but keep holding Volume up and Home button till you get into recovery mode. If you’ve CWM recovery installed on your device then use Volume Up and Down key for Navigation and Home Button for Selection. But if TWRP is installed then use normal touch for selection.
- After getting into recovery mode, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM. If the installation fails in between or the ROM fails to touch your heart, you can easily restore the previous one. If you are un-aware about nandroid backup don’t worry, just follow our guide:
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition one after another for wiping the data and cache respectively. Note that this step will wipe all the data from your phone including contacts, messages, call logs, apn’s, apps etc. So ensure that you have taken a proper backup before attempting this step.
- Then navigate to the ‘install zip from SD card’ located on recovery mode & then on the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’. It will show all your folders and files located on internal/external storage depending upon your selection done earlier. Now navigate to CM 11 ROM file which you’ve copied earlier from computer and select it. On the next screen press ‘Yes’ thus confirming the installation process. This will begin the flashing process.
- In the same manner, install the GApps package file. Both the flashing processes will complete in just a few minutes.
- After completion of installation of both files restart your device by pressing ‘reboot system now’ from the Recovery mode. You will observe a change as the phone restarts. You’ll need to wait for a minute as the first boot always takes more than usual but after that it can restart smoothly.
Note: If you don’t like this ROM or have some problem with the same you can restore back your previous Rom by choosing the backup & restore feature of CWM. For doing so, head on to recovery mode by the method given above, select ‘Backup and Restore’ and on the next screen press ‘Restore’. You can refer the nandroid backup link given above.
Yoyo! The latest Android 4.4 Kitkat is now successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Enjoy the all new features and look of your device after installing this ROM. Also don’t forget to share your experience of this ROM with us. We’d be definitely pleased to hear them. If you face any kind of difficulty while going through the procedure or have any issue after installing this ROM then feel free to text us through the comments section below. A proper solution will be given for your each query.