With Nexus 5, Google unveiled next version of Android viz. Android 4.4 KitKat. Subsequently they released this update for all the Nexus devices. As it is a lightweight OS as compared to Jelly Bean, low specification devices can easily run it. It is also rumored that Sony is testing Android 4.4 KitKat on 2011 devices like Xperia Go, Sola etc. But it is very unlikely that Sony will release any official update for these devices.
In that case you have to depend on custom ROMs to taste KitKat on your smartphone. And Cyanogenmod 11 based on this Android 4.4 is already built for Xperia Sola. KitKat brings few remarkable changes in its UI. The details regarding the features of KitKat are elaborated in this article.
As this ROM is in its initial state, it has few bugs in it. Some of them are
- Bluetooth not working.
- WiFi not working
You may not find this bugs in the latest build. So follow the procedure written ahead to install Cyanogenmod 11 based on Android 4.4 KitKat on Sony Xperia Sola.
The procedure written ahead is a bit risky and may lead to a permanent damage. If you are not familiar with this fact then don’t even think of moving ahead. Before executing any step, read the article carefully. We are not responsible for any damage (if caused) to your phone after implementing the procedure.
This build of Cyanogenmod is compiled only for Sony Xperia Sola with device model number MT27i. Any attempt of flashing it on any other device may lead to a permanent damage. Check device model first.
Settings -> about device -> model number
Note: installation of custom ROM voids the warranty. So think before installing it on your mobile.
- Lack of battery power may turn off your mobile during the process which will cause damage to it. So charge it at least up to 70%.
- As we are wiping all the data during the procedure (It is mandatory.), you must take a backup of important stuff like SMS, MMS, contacts etc. to the external memory.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- One of the necessary pre-requisites is to unlock bootloader of your phone. You cannot move ahead without unlocking it.
- How to unlock bootloader.
- Also a custom recovery like clockworkmod recovery must be installed on Xperia Sola. It is necessary for flashing the ROM. You may find this article helpful for flashing clockworkmod recovery.
- Also install device specific USB drivers on your PC.
- Drivers Sony Xperia Sola
Flashing of Cyanogenmod on Sony Xperia Sola involves two steps. First one is to flash the kernel and next is to flash cyanogenmod along with Gapps. The detail procedure is elaborated ahead. Before that, you need to download few required files.
- Latest build of Cyanogenmod 11 for Sony Xperia Sola from official development page.
- Click here to download. (Remember pepper is code name of Xperia Sola)
- As Google apps are not included, you have to flash Gapps package afterwards.
- Google apps for Android 4.4 KitKat.
- You will also require ADB and fastboot files for flashing the kernel.
- Click here to download.
After downloading all the files connect mobile to PC and COPY cyanogenmod.zip file and gapps file to the external memory. Do not extract them.
- Extract ADB and fastboot files which you have downloaded earlier in a new folder on computer.
- Extract cm11.0_pepper-ota-eng.root_Build.6.zip file present on computer using WinRAR or 7-zip. (Do not extract file which is present on mobile.)
- You will get boot.img which is nothing but a kernel. Move it to the same folder which contains fastboot and ADB files.
- For flashing this kernel, switch off your mobile and boot into fastboot mode. Connect mobile to PC using USB cable. While connecting mobile to PC press volume up button. This will trigger the fastboot mode in your mobile.
- Now open the folder containing fastboot, ADB and boot.img file. You will see five more files apart from boot.img file.
- Double click on runme file and command prompt window will open. Type the following command.
- You will get random numbers on screen which is serial number of your mobile. It means your device is connected properly.
- Type next command.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- This will flash kernel on your mobile. Now disconnect it from computer and switch it off.
- Assuming that you have already copied files to the external memory, let’s move to the procedure to flash these files.
- First boot into recovery mode. For that switch on the phone. While phone is restarting (during boot logo & LED turns blue), press Volume up button. Your phone will land in recovery mode.
- First of all make a nandroid backup of the current system. It can be restored again if anything goes wrong during the process. Go through this article to make nandroid backup.
- Now select wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partitions to wipe all the data from internal memory.
- Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. List of files and folders will appear on the screen. Select cm11.0_pepper-ota-eng.root_Build.6.zip file and confirm it in next step.
- It will take few minutes for execution of this step.
- Do wipe data/factory reset again in order to avoid boot loops.
- Repeat the step of install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. This time select Gapps file.
- After flashing this file, select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system now. First boot will take more time.
That’s it! Android 4.4 KitKat is running on your Sony Xperia Sola via Cyanogenmod 11 custom ROM. Do share your reviews about this ROM. If you came across any difficulties, you can comment us in the comments section. We will try over level best to solve it.
Tip: If you don’t like this ROM or you are not comfortable with this ROM, you can easily return back to the previous ROM just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.