When Google launched the latest Android 4.4 KitKat for the Nexus devices, there were many rumors that this latest update will be released only for some of those flagship devices with good hardware specs. But all thanks goes to the Cyanogenmod developers as they always come up with unofficial Custom ROMs for devices which has least expectations to get the latest official update. Due to these Custom ROMs it has become so easy to experience those new customized features on any low end device.
Since the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Captivate is capable enough to run Android 4.4 KitKat, XDA senior members have launched an unofficial CM 11 nightly build for the same. With this you can experience the amazing features like new phone dialer app, screen recording, security and system improvements, refurnished Google home with new launcher, NFC emulation, Google wallet, new quick office, low memory management support, new gallery, battery saving tweaks, new keyboard and much more on your device.
Note that this is not an official firmware update. This CM 11 nightly build custom ROM is not fully developed yet, so you may face minor bugs or issues. But you should also remember that as this is a nightly build all those bugs and issues will be updated and fixed daily with more new customized features introduced periodically. Some of the known issues are given below.
- Bluetooth Tethering.
Well, if you still want to update your Samsung Galaxy Captivate SGH-i897 to the latest Android 4.4 KitKat via the Cyanogenmod 11 nightly build then follow all the given steps properly.
The steps given below for updating your Samsung Galaxy Captivate to Cyanogenmod 11 Custom ROM (Android 4.4) are quite risky and must be performed only by an advanced Android user who is used to it. For newbie, it is highly recommended to read all the steps properly as even a slight change can damage your device to a vast level. If anything happens to your device by following this guide, then neither we nor the developers are responsible for that. Although there are least chances of getting your device damaged or crashed but still we strongly recommend you to follow all the instructions step by step as they are mentioned below and don’t implement anything by your own.
This Cyanogenmod 11 update given below must be implemented only on Samsung Galaxy Captivate model number SGH-i897. So don’t even think flashing it on any another device or variant except the one mentioned as your device may get bricked or may result into unwanted results. You can verify the given number with your device’s model number from Homescreen–> Menu–>Settings –> About Phone.
- There are chances that your device gets switched off due to low battery life. So it is recommended to charge your device battery at least up to 80% to avoid the interruption during the flashing process.
- For improving your battery life, you can follow our guide:
- How to Improve Battery Life of an Android Device (Tips).
- Always remember to take a backup before any flashing process. Backup of all your Phone data and settings including contacts, SMS/MMS and call logs etc. to external memory card or on your PC is very much essential as everything gets wiped in the last step of procedure.
- For backing up Contacts & Messages, you can refer this article:
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- For backing up Call logs, APNs & EFS folder, you can refer this article:
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- Make sure that a Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod recovery or TWRP recovery is installed on your device before proceeding further. The Custom recovery is an essential tool before flashing any Custom ROM. If you haven’t installed it yet, then do that immediately since it is must for installing CM 11 Custom ROM.
- Download the Cyanogenmod 11 Custom ROM from the given link below:
- Click Here to Download
- Download the Google Apps containing Gmail, Play store, Gtalk, maps etc. from the given link below:
- Click here to Download
- After downloading these two files connect your device to PC using the USB cable, enable mass storage mode and transfer these files to your device external storage. Don’t place them in the deep directories. Also remember not to extract them.
- Disconnect mobile from PC and switch it off completely. Now you need to enter into recovery mode which can be entered by holding Volume Up + Volume down +Power button simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
- After entering into recovery mode make a nandroid backup of your current ROM. This nandroid backup is the backup of whole operating system which can be completely regained back if you face some problem with this ROM. You can follow our guide for taking a proper nandroid backup:
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- After completing the nandroid backup, return to the main menu of recovery and navigate to the ‘install zip from sdcard’ & on the next page ‘choose zip from sdcard’. After selecting it, you can view all your folders and files located on your SD card. Now navigate to CM 11 package file which you’ve copied earlier & select it. Confirm the installation by pressing ‘Yes’. As soon as you click on it the actual installation process will begin.
- The process will hardly take few minutes to complete. After successful completion of the installation process again navigate to the recovery mode and select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ followed by ‘wipe cache partition’. This will wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively and will thus solve the boot loops issue.
- The same above procedure can followed for flashing Google Apps. But remember not to perform the last step of wiping data after installing GApps.
- Once you complete everything as mentioned above, restart your device by pressing ‘reboot system now’ from the Recovery mode itself. You will see a new look of your device than usual. The first boot will take more time to start than usual.
Note: If you want to restore back your previous Rom then you can easily do that by simply going back to the Recovery mode again through the steps mentioned above and select ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next screen select ‘Restore’.
Congo! The Cyanogenmod 11 nightly build Custom ROM running on the latest Android 4.4 KitKat has been successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy Captivate SGH-i897. Enjoy and experience the all new look and features of Android KitKat on your device. Do tell us you views and experience about this ROM. Also if you come across any difficulty or trouble then drop your problem through the comments given below. We’ll solve them as early as possible.