Samsung Galaxy Mini was one of the most famous smartphone, released about 3 years ago. The Gingerbread running device is one of the favorite one of developers. It is blessed with various ROMs and still many developers are working on different ROMs.
When Google unveiled Android 4.4 KitKat, within few days developers compiled Cyanogenmod 11 for flagship devices. Now they are turned to older device. And of course Galaxy Mini is one of the latest one to receive this Cyanogenmod 11.One of the recognized contributor of XDA, yajnab, has compiled alpha build of this custom ROM for Galaxy Mini.
This Android 4.4 KitKat based custom ROM has all the features of pure vanilla. The notable ones are changed dialing interface, refreshed lock screen display, Emojis everywhere, message consolidation and moreover it is lightweight as compared to previous Android versions. Some of the features of Android 4.4 are specially for Nexus devices. Nevertheless it is one of the revolutionary update in Android.
As said earlier, it is alpha build. So bugs are bound to be there. Some of the working features are listed below. Read them thoroughly before proceeding ahead.
- SD Card
- Tethering (USB and Wi-Fi)
A procedure to install Android 4.4 KitKat via Cyanogenmod 11 on Samsung Galaxy Mini is elaborated in the further article. Read it carefully before implementing any of the steps.
The given article is considered as risky and may cause damage to your mobile. If you are not aware of all these things, it is recommended that you should not follow this article. Read article carefully at your own risk. Neither we nor developers are responsible for any damage caused to your mobile after implementing these steps.
This Cyanogenmod 11 is compiled particularly for Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570. Flashing it on any other mobile may cause permanent damage to it. First check model number of your device.
Settings-> about device-> model number
Note: Flashing any custom ROM voids the warranty. You must be aware of this thing before flashing it. Of course you can retain the warranty after flashing official firmware.
- Lack of battery power may turn off your mobile during the process which will cause damage to it. So charge it at least up to 75% before proceeding further.
- We are wiping all the data from internal memory during the process so it better to take backup of important stuff like SMS, MMS, contacts etc. to the external memory card. You can take the help of these articles for to do the same.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- One of the necessary things required for flashing any custom ROM is custom recovery like CWM or TWRP. You cannot proceed further without any custom recovery. Refer this article for flashing the same. Note that older versions of recovery will not work for Android 4.4.
- Don’t forget to install device specific drivers on PC.
- Firstly download Cyanogenmod 11 (latest build) file from official development page for Samsung Galaxy Mini.
- Cyanogenmod 11 for Galaxy Mini.
- As we know that custom ROM does not include Google apps, you have to flash this Gapps file (contains Google apps like Gmail, Maps, Play store etc.) separately after flashing custom ROM.
- Gapps for Android 4.4 KitKat (CM11)
- After downloading both files, connect your mobile to PC via USB cable. Copy both the files to the external memory card in convenient location. Don’t extract them. And then disconnect from PC.
- Assuming that you have taken a backup of all the important stuff, switch off your mobile. Once it gets off, boot into recovery mode by pressing volume up + home + power button simultaneously. Do not release the buttons until mobile vibrates and boot into recovery mode.
- In CWM recovery, you have to use volume keys for navigation and power key for selection.
- First of all make nandroid backup of the current system. Though it is not mandatory, it is very important. If anything goes wrong in the process, you can restore this backup. You may refer this post to create nandroid backup. (This step is not mandatory but recommended.)
- Now perform wipe data/factory reset followed by wipe cache partition. This will wipe all the data from phone memory. Caution! Performing this step wipes all the data from internal memory.
- Now you are ready to flash Cyanogenmod 11. Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Select Cyanogenmod 11.zip file from the list of files and folders. Confirm it in next step.
- It will take few minutes for execution. After flashing the ROM do wipe data/Factory reset again to avoid boot loops.
- Repeat the step of install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard and this time select Gapps.
- After flashing both the files successfully select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system. Note that first boot will take more time than usual.
Well done!! Android 4.4 KitKat via Cyanogenmod 11 custom ROM is running on your Samsung Galaxy Mini. Do let us know how it is working for you. If you don’t understand any of the above steps, report us through comments. We will come with a solution for you.
Tip: In case you want to revert to previous ROM you can easily do it just by entering into Recovery mode. Then select the Backup and Restore option from the recovery mode & then select restore & choose your latest backup to restore. Even simply you can flash official firmware.