It seems that the Cyanogenmod team is giving much attention towards the HTC devices. We can say so due to the number of custom ROMs they are rolling out for the same. This time they have come up with the KitKat flavored Cyanogenmod 11 nightly build Custom ROM for HTC One S smartphone.
This smartphone from the HTC One series made a tremendous impact during its release last year. It had the most popular dual-core 1.7GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. Due to such big benefit, the third party Android developers must have thought to develop an unofficial CM 11 Custom ROM which of course can smoothly run on it.
All the thank goes to senior XDA members RockR172 and Intervigil who with great efforts brought the most used and preferred Cyanogenmod nightly build custom ROM for this device. As it is based on the latest Android 4.4 KitKat version you can experience all new features like refurnished Google home with new launcher, new phone dialer app, screen recording, new gallery, new quick office app and much more on your device. The list does not end here as along with that you can even feel the Cyanogenmod features. Thus a combo pack ROM with amazing features is waiting for you. But before that you must note that this nightly build CM 11 ROM is in working stage and hence contain untested bugs and issues. Some of which are listed below.
- Bluetooth Tethering.
By following the article given below, you will discover an easiest way to install and update your HTC One S to the latest Android 4.4 KitKat version through Cyanogenmod nightly build.
The steps given below are much risky and if attempted wrong can highly damage your HTC One S. If so happened (although the chances are least) then we will not be held responsible for that. Hence it is strongly recommended to read and follow the step by step procedure given below properly and without any mistake.
This Cyanogenmod 11 update given below must be implemented only on HTC One S. Don’t try this on any other device, it may result into unwanted outcomes. It’s always better to check your device before performing anything.
- If the battery of your phone is much less then it may switch your device off hence interrupting the installation process. So it is recommended to charge your device battery at least up to 80% to avoid the interruption during the flashing process.
- For improving your battery life, you can follow our guide:
- How to Improve Battery Life of an Android Device (Tips).
- Backup of all your Phone data and Settings including contacts, SMS/MMS and call logs etc. must be done before performing the flashing process. This is very much essential as everything gets wiped in the last step of procedure.
- For backing up Contacts & Messages, you can refer this article:
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- For backing up Call logs, APNs & EFS folder, you can refer this article:
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- It is recommended to unlock the bootloader of your device. If you haven’t done it yet, follow this procedure to do the same:
- How to unlock bootloader of HTC One S
- Also make sure that Custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) or TWRP is installed on your phone. You can follow this article given below to install CWM recovery.
- How To Root & Install Clockworkmod Recovery on HTC One S
- Download the CM 11 Custom ROM from the given link below:
- Click Here to Download
- Download the Google Apps containing Gmail, Play store, Gtalk, maps etc. from the given link below:
- Click here to Download
- Download the fastboot files which are needed to flash the kernel image.
- Click here to download
- Extract the above zip package of fastboot files. You will find the following four files inside your extracted folder.
- Now extract the ROM package which you’ve just downloaded in your PC. Search for boot.img file inside it which is nothing but a kernel file. Extract and copy this kernel file in Fastboot folder so that you will have total five files inside it.
- Switch off your device now and enter into the fastboot mode. To do so, press & hold Volume Down + Power Button together.
- This will boot your device in bootloader mode. Now navigate the Fastboot mode using volume up and down buttons & select it using power button.
- While in the Fastboot mode, connect your device to the PC using the USB cable. Open the Fastboot folder.
- Next you need to open the command prompt window and point its directory to the Fastboot folder (OR You can do the same as: open the Fastboot folder, press & hold shift key and then right click on the free space in the same folder. When right clicked (holding the shift key), you’ll see ‘Open Command window here’ option. Click on it & Command prompt will get opened pointing to the Fastboot directory. Refer the screenshot given below.
- Enter this ‘fastboot device’ command in the command prompt window. If you see some random numbers appearing in the command prompt window, then it is confirmed that your device is connected properly. If it doesn’t appear then don’t worry, just install the essential drivers for your HTC One S.
- After that type the following command in command prompt to flash the kernel file:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Restart your device in bootloader by typing ‘adb reboot bootloader’ (without quotes) in the command prompt window. As the phone starts you can remove the USB cable to disconnect it from PC.
- Now navigate to the recovery option using volume up and down keys & select it using power button.
- Take a nandroid backup of your current ROM. This is very much essential if in case anything goes wrong you can go back to your previous ROM just by restoring this backup. To know how to take a proper nandroid backup refer this article.
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- Now select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ followed by the ‘wipe cache partition’ for wiping all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Now navigate to the ‘install zip from sdcard’ from the recovery mode itself and select it. Then on the next page select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. This will show all your folders and files located on your SD card. Now choose the ROM package file which you have copied earlier and select it using the power button. As soon as you click on it, the installation process will begin. This will take a few minute to complete.
- After successful completion of installation process flash the Google apps using the same method given above. Select ‘reboot system now’ option to restart the phone. The first boot will take more time than usual.
Note: If you want to restore back your previous ROM then you can easily do that by going back to the recovery mode again and selecting ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next screen selecting ‘Restore’.
Yieepi! You have successfully flashed the CM 11 nightly build ROM based on the latest Android 4.4 KitKat on your HTC One S. Enjoy the combo feature of both Android KitKat as well as Cyanogenmod on your One S. If you get stuck in any step given above or have problem related to the given content then do inform us through the comments given below. We will solve them as early as possible.