A new project called Omni ROM started by XplodWild, Chainfire and Dees_troy has reached the ‘Nightlies’ stage. Now you can easily update your Samsung Galaxy R i9103 with the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM. Just follow this step by step article to flash the KitKat based Omni ROM on your Galaxy R i9103. This ROM is based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat AOSP and it contains all the default features of KitKat as well as some additional of its own. The newly added features that this ROM have are visual UI tweaks, multi workspace, each app permissions controls, non-obtrusive incoming call alert, enhanced DSP Manager, flipable quick settings, multi window feature etc. There are tons of other small tweaks that will allow you to use the Nightly build on a daily-basis.
As Galaxy R comes with good hardware spec; it is capable to run this Omni ROM smoothly. Also as this is a nightly build, you will receive it’s each stable update daily & with fixed bugs/issues. As well as some of its new features may be introduced regularly. It comes with various useful customization options as well. Some of the cool Android 4.4.2 KitKat features that you will enjoy with this ROM are, cloud printing from gallery, google home launcher, screen recording, core system processes trimmed, full screen immersive mode, seamless change in resolution during media playback, new phone dialer, redesigned quick office and much more.
The ROM is still under development and contains some bugs/issues. But they will definitely get fixed with further stable updates. If you are interested in flashing the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat based Omni Rom on your Galaxy R i9103 then freely proceed further to the actual guide given below.
Disclaimer: Attempt all the step by step procedure at your own risk. If any damage occurs to your device by following this guide then neither we nor the developers of this ROM will be held responsible for that.
This article is compatible only and only with Galaxy R having the model number i9103. Flashing this any other device or variant can damage the phone permanently. Better check your device model number from Menu –> Settings –> About device before proceeding further.
- Charge your mobiles at least up to 60% so as to minimize the risk of interruption during the installation process. For improving your battery life, you may refer our guide:
- How to Improve Battery Life of an Android Device (Tips).
- Backup of contacts, messages, apps, APNs, call logs and memos etc. must be done as there is always a chance of losing all this important data while flashing any ROM. Also it must be noted that everything gets wiped in the last step of this procedure. Refer some of our articles for the same.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to backup Notes and Memos for an Android device.
- You must have rooted your Galaxy R & installed a custom recovery tool (latest) like CWM/TWRP before the flashing process.
- Download Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Galaxy R from the link given below:
- Click here to download.
- Download latest Google Apps (Android 4.4.2) for Galaxy R from the link given below:
- Click here to download.
- After completely downloading the above files, connect your device to your PC, enable USB debugging mode and copy both of them (without extracting) on your device SD card. Do not place them in deep directories.
- Safely disconnect the phone from PC and switch it off completely. Now boot your phone into recovery mode now. For that, press & hold Volume Up + Home button + Power button simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
- Now make a complete nandroid backup of your current ROM so that the same can be restored back in case of installation failure. For that select the backup and restore option from the main menu of recovery mode & then on the next screen choose backup option which will begin the backup process. You may refer our article for taking a proper nandroid backup:
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- Now highlight wipe data/factory reset option & on the next screen wipe cache partition option to clear data/cache from your phone memory. Ensure that you’ve taken a complete backup before attempting this step. Refer the pre-requisites section of this guide for doing the same.
- Let’s begin the actual flashing process now. So highlight install zip from sdcard option & then on next screen highlight choose zip from sdcard option. After selecting it, you will see all the files & folders located on your device SD card. Just navigate to the Omni ROM package file that you’ve copied earlier, select it & confirm the installation process by pressing on ‘Yes’. This will initiate the flashing process immediately.
- It will hardly take few minutes to complete. After successful flashing, again select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition option to clear phone memory. This step is much essential to overcome the boot loops issue.
- Flash the Google apps package file in the same way as you’ve flashed the ROM. But remember not to wipe data after flashing these GApps.
- You may restart your phone by selecting ‘reboot system now’ option from the recovery mode itself.
Vovo! You have successfully flashed the Android 4.4.2 KitKat flavored Omni ROM on your Samsung Galaxy R i9103. You can verify the same from Home->Settings-> About Phone. Enjoy all the latest features with this one. But don’t forget to tell your views about the same. If you face any problem while going through this guide then freely ask us through the comments section given below. We’ll help you out.
Tip: If you are not happy with this ROM and want to restore back your previous ROM then it can be done by using backup & restore feature from the CWM recovery. For doing so, boot into the recovery mode, highlight ‘Backup and Restore’ option & on next screen, select restore option. This will show you the all the ROM backups you’ve made until now. Select the one you want to restore.