Recently, Omni ROM team has released nightly builds, featuring Android 4.4 KitKat for a number of Android powered devices. One such nightly build is available for the AT&T Galaxy S4. The S4 users thus can enjoy and experience all those newly launched Android 4.4 KitKat flavored features on their devices. Our heartily thanks goes to jakew02, jumoog and evisceration who have contributed allot in developing this wonderful and beautiful custom ROM.
This ROM is definitely a great alternative to those stock Android 4.4 firmwares and is of course one of the most popular KitKat custom ROMs besides Paranoid Android, Cyanogenmod or AOKP. Some of its features are mentioned below. Have a look on them.
- Lockscreen widget customization
- Statusbar color customization
- New Omni’s Lockscreen and shortcuts
- New Power menu
- Kernel Tweaker in custom settings
- Appbar added back
- Statusbar brightness control
- Quick pull down
- Lockscreen see through
- Lockscreen blur
- Customizable lockscreen wallpaper
- Google Dialer features
- Option to use Omni Switch as default app switcher
- Battery customization
- Clock & Date customization
- Double tap to sleep
- Screen Recorder w/ sound
- Clear all button
- Led customization
- Smooth progressbar
- New Navigation Bar
- Notification for LED control
- Notification drawer ribbon
- Power Menu Options
- Lockscreen Shortcuts
- StatusBar Font choice
AT&T Galaxy S4 users, who wish to update their devices to Android 4.4 using Omni ROM, may follow our step-by-step guide given below.
Disclaimer: We the members of androidlegend.com remind our users that neither we nor the developers of this ROM hold any responsibility in case if your device gets bricked or damaged by performing the step by step procedure given below. Attempt everything at your own risk. Don’t even think if you’re not familiar with this stuff. Although it is very rare that your device will get damaged but still we strongly recommend you to follow all the instructions properly and without any single mistake.
The article mentioned below is compatible only and only with AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 i337/i337M. Flashing this on any other device or variant can damage your phone permanently. You can check the same from: Menu –> Settings –> About device.
- Ensure that your mobiles battery is charged at least up to 60% so as to minimize the risk of interruption during the installation process. For improving your battery life, you may refer our article given below.
- Flashing any ROM involves wiping of entire phone memory. So better backup all your important data such as Contacts, SMS / MMS, Apps, APNs, Call logs and Memos etc. This is recommended as everything gets wiped in the last step of this procedure. You may refer our articles for the same.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to backup Notes and Memos for an Android device.
- Your AT&T Galaxy S4 must be rooted.
- Latest Custom recovery like Clockworkmod (CWM) must be installed in order flash this Android 4.4.1 Omni ROM.
- Download Android 4.4.1 KitKat Omni ROM package from the link given below:
- Click here to download.
- Download the Google apps containing Gmail, Play store, Google+, Google Settings etc. from the link given below:
- GApps for Android 4.4 (Cyanogenmod 11)
- Just download both the given files and connect your phone to the PC. Enable MTP mode on it in order to access internal / external storage. Transfer both these files (without extracting) on root directory of your phone which is the most convenient location to access when you are in recovery mode.
- Now disconnect the phone and switch it off completely. Its time to boot your phone in recovery mode. For the same, press & hold Volume Up + Home Button + Power button simultaneously until you get into recovery mode.
- The first thing after entering into recovery mode is to take a complete nandroid backup of your current ROM so that the same can be restored back in case of installation failure. For that select the backup and restore option from the main menu of recovery mode & then on the next screen choose backup option to start the backup process. You may refer our article for taking a proper nandroid backup.
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- Just clear the data & caches respectively from the phone memory by selecting wipe data/factory reset option & wipe cache partition option. You must remember that this step will erase all the data from your phone, therefore make sure that you have backed up everything before attempting this step. Refer pre-requisites section of this article for doing the same.
- Let’s move to the actual Android 4.4.1 KitKat ROM flashing process. For that highlight install zip from sdcard option & then on next screen select choose zip from sdcard option. This will show you all the files & folders located on internal / external storage of your device (depending upon the option you’ve chosen earlier). Just navigate to the Omni ROM package file that you’ve copied earlier, select it & confirm the installation process by pressing on ‘Yes’. This will start the installation process immediately.
- It will hardly take few minutes to complete. After successful installation, again select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition option to clear phone memory. Note that this step is much essential in order to avoid boot loops.
- Now it’s time to flash Google Apps. For that, follow the same above procedure as you’ve flashed the ROM package file.
- After you finish flashing both the files, select ‘reboot system now’ to restart the phone.
Note: If you are not satisfied with this ROM and hence want to restore back your previous saved ROM then it can be done by using backup & restore feature from the CWM recovery. For doing so, boot into the recovery mode, highlight ‘Backup and Restore’ option & on next screen, select restore option. This will show you the all the ROM backups you’ve made until now. Select the one you want to restore.
Hoho! The KitKat flavored Android 4.4.1 Omni ROM has been successfully flashed on your AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4. This ROM will give you the complete KitKat touch to your Galaxy S4. We have made this article much simpler. Still if you’ve any queries or problem regarding the stuff mentioned above, do ask us through the comments section given below. We are always here to help you. Thank you!