It becomes very frustrating when your phone manufacturer stops providing latest firmware updates for your smartphone. In case of LG, they’ve upgraded their previous flagship device Optimus 4X HD P880 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean but then there after they’ve stopped updating this device. It means LG won’t be providing any further Android updates to Optimus 4X HD. But even if LG has stopped rolling out updates for this device, nevertheless it can be upgraded to latest Android version with the help of Custom ROMs.
Being a high end device, there are plenty Custom ROMs available for Optimus 4X HD but Cyanogenmod is one of the most preferred Custom ROM amongst all. Officially, CM supports several Android devices and no doubt that it’s also available for LG Optimus 4X HD. Till now, CM development for Optimus 4X HD was limited to Android 4.2.2 based CM 10.1 only but now they’ve managed to compile the latest build of Android viz, Android 4.3 for this device. This new version of Cyanogenmod is known as Cyanogenmod 10.2.
CM 10.2 includes all the goodness of Android 4.3 along with it’s own customization flexibilities & tweaks. You’ll know more about it when you’ll try it yourself. But before you go for it, remember that currently CM 10.2 is still in nightly phase, which means there are chances of having bugs in it and hence you might not get all the features working. Developers are constantly working to fix these issues and hopefully they’ll release a stable build in the near future.
So, in the rest part of this article. we’ll be guiding you through the steps required for installing Cyanogenmod 102 (CM 10.2) on LG Optimus 4X HD P880.
The steps you are going to perform on your phone are quite risky & can cause damage to your device. We don’t held any responsibility in case if you brick your phone by performing the following tutorial. If you are unaware of all these things then we request you to stay away from it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. We at AndroidLegend.com have tried our best to make this article more clear. Still, if any damage happens to your device after following this article, whole responsibility will be yours.
This guide of flashing Cyanogenmod 10.2 is intended for LG Optimus 4X HD P880 & has to be implemented on the same only. Don’t even think to flash it on any other device (than the mentioned one) else it may turn your device into semi bricked / non functioning state.
If you are unsure of your device’s model number then first check it before you perform these steps on your phone. You can check your device’s model number here: Menu –> Settings –> About device.
- Your device must be charged at least up to 70% battery level so that you can flash ROM without any interruptions.
- You may be interested in: How to Improve Battery Life of an Android Device (Tips).
- USB Debugging option must be enabled in your phone.
- Device bootloader MUST be unlocked.
- Your phone data will be lost after performing the CM 10.2 ROM installation (excluding External storage like SD card). Therefore, it is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal storage (For the safe side, you should also backup external media storage). You can use following links for performing a backup of different things:
- For Backing up Contacts & Messages, follow this guide:
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- For Backing up Call logs, APNs & EFS folder (Important), use this guide:
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- You can also backup whole system with the help of Clockworkmod / TWRP recovery and for that you can refer the link given below:
- How to Backup whole ROM / Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) Recovery.
- Device specific drivers must be installed properly in your PC. If you don’t have them installed then you can get them from here.
Note: You can’t proceed to ROM installation unless you’ve CWM / TWRP recovery installed on your LG Optimus 4X HD.
- Download Cyanogenmod 10.2 (Android 4.3) ROM package from the link given below:
- Official CM 10.2 ROM Download Page.
- (Optional) Since Cyanogenmod doesn’t include Google apps, you need to download & flash them separately. This package contains apps like Gmail, Hangout, Play store, Google+, Google Settings, Google Now, Play books / Movies etc. You can download GApps package from the link given ahead:
- GApps for Android 4.3 (Cyanogenmod 10.2)
- After downloading CM 10.2 ROM & GApps package, connect your device to the Computer. Enable Media Transfer mode on it (in order to access internal / external storage). Now transfer CM 10.2 & GApps files on root directory of your phone. Keep in mind, you’ve to copy those files as it is. Don’t extract them else it won’t work.
- Disconnect the phone from PC & reconnect it by enabling USB debugging option (ignore if already enabled). Now boot into Custom recovery you’ve installed. For doing that go through the steps given ahead.
- Download ADB files from the link given below.
- ADB Files for LG Optimus 4X HD.
- Extract above zip package of ADB files. You will find five files inside your extracted folder.
- Now open runme.lnk (by double clicking on it) and type this command.
adb reboot recovery
- By entering above command, you’ll be able to access Custom recovery that you’ve installed earlier.
- After getting into recovery mode, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that the same can be restored back in case of installation failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option from the main menu of recovery, select it & then choose backup option to start the backup process (You may refer to this guide).
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the phone memory. Wiping cache partition is not necessary though, since Wiping data / factory resetting phone itself wipes many partitions but still it’s recommended. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from phone, therefore ensure that you’ve taken backup of all these things before. Please refer Pre-requisites section of this article for the same).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select choose zip from sdcard. It will list all the files & folders located on internal / external storage of your device (depending upon the option you’ve chosen). Navigate to the ROM file that you’ve copied earlier , select it using power button (unless you’re using touch recovery) & confirm the installation by pressing on ‘Yes – Install ____’. This would start the installation process.
- As soon as installation gets completed, again select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition options in order to avoid boot loops.
- Now select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip). Press on ‘Yes – Install gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip’ to confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing both files, select “reboot system now” to Restart the phone.
Fantastically done! You’ve successfully flashed Cyanogenmod 10.2 (CM 10.2). Now, all new Android 4.3 is at your fingertips. If you’ve any query or require help regarding the procedure that we’ve mentioned, feel free to ask us in comments below & we’ll come up with a solution as soon as possible. Don’t forget to report new changes in Android 4.3. We’d be pleased to hear them from you. Enjoy..!
Tip: If you don’t want this ROM anymore or want to restore back your previous ROM then this can be done by using CMW’s backup & restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, select Backup and Restore option & on next screen, select restore. Now choose the backup you’d like to restore (or restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).