Last year Sony came up with new range of Xperia devices and one of them is Xperia U. With some decent feature and stylish look, it became popular among the people. The ICS running device is capable to run Android 4.1 or Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. But unfortunately Sony denied all the updates beyond Android 4.0.4 ICS.
Being an Android device the major advantage is that you can get unofficial update if available. Several developers working on compiling different custom ROMs based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and notable group of developers is TeamCanjica. They have a major contribution in compiling various ROMs for various devices and one of them is Cyanogenmod 10.1 for Sony Xperia U.
Yes you can get Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update via Cyanogenomod 10.1 custom ROM also known as CM10.1. This Cyanogenmod includes all the features from Android 4.2.2 with some additional Cyanogenmod features. As it is still under development, you may come across few bugs and the notable ones are listed below.
- WiFi Tethering and WiFi Direct.
Nevertheless you will find improved performance of device while accessing mobile. And if don’t have any problem with this issues you can go through the article written ahead to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via Cyanogenmod10.1 on Xperia U St25i.
Installing a custom ROM is a risky process and may cause severe damage to your mobile if you improperly followed the procedure. Those who are unaware of this fact should stay away from it. Before executing any steps go through the article completely. We AndroidLegend.com or developers are not responsible for any soft brick or hard brick of your device after implementing these steps.
This custom ROM is compiled particularly for Sony Xperia U with model number ST25i. Check your device model number as settings -> about device -> model number. Flashing of this ROM on any other mobile should be avoided. Otherwise your device might cause serious damage.
Caution: Flashing custom ROM voids the warranty. So be careful before proceeding further.
- It is better to charge your device up to 75% so that there will not be any interruption during procedure.
- During the procedure we will wipe data completely. So it is recommended to take a backup of important stuff like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card (USB storage). You can refer this article for assistance.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- One of the necessary things is to unlock bootloader of your device before proceeding further. Go through this article for it.
- Also custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery must be installed on your device. Without any custom recovery you cannot move ahead. You may find this article helpful for flashing recovery.
- Enable USB debugging option of mobile. Settings -> developers option -> USB debugging on
First download few essential files.
- Latest build of Cyanogenmod 10.1 for Sony Xperia U ST25i from official development page.
- Click here to download.
- Since custom ROM doesn’t include Google Apps, you need flash it separately after flashing the ROM. Of course it is optional. GApps includes Google apps like Gmail, Gtalk, Play store etc.
- Click here to download. (GApps for Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean)
- ADB and fastboot files. Required to flash the kernel.
- Click here to download.
After downloading all the files connect mobile to PC and copy cm-10.1-2013xxxx-NIGHTLY-kumquat.zip and gapps.zip file to the external memory on convenient location. Do not extract them. You will not able to access mobile after flashing kernel.
- Extract ADB and fastboot files which you have downloaded earlier in a new folder.
- Extract cm-10.1-2013xxxx-NIGHTLY-kumquat.zip file present on computer using WinRAR or 7-zip. (Do not extract file which is present on mobile.)
- You will get boot.img which is nothing but a kernel. Move it to the same folder which contains fastboot and ADB files.
- To flash this kernel, you will need to boot your mobile in the fastboot mode. For that first switch off the mobile. Connect mobile to PC using USB cable. While connecting mobile to PC press volume up button. This will trigger the fastboot mode in your mobile.
- Now open the folder containing fastboot, ADB and boot.img file. You will see five more files apart from boot.img file.
- Double click on runme.lnk file and command prompt window will open. Type the following command.
- You will get random numbers on screen which is serial number of your mobile. It means your device is connected properly.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- This will take few minutes for flashing the kernel.
- After successful flashing the kernel, disconnect it form PC and switch it off by long pressing power button.
After flashing the kernel, flash CM10.1 custom ROM as follows.
- Assuming that you have copied all the required files to the external memory, disconnect mobile from PC and switch it off.
- Boot into recovery mode by switching it on again. When phone is restarting (during boot logo & LED turns blue), press Volume up button. Your phone will land in recovery mode.
- Wait for few minutes and you will see that your mobile is rebooted in recovery mode. Now you can disconnect mobile from PC.
- First take a nandroid backup of current system so that it can be restored if anything goes wrong. So first select backup & restore option and then backup in next step. This backup is saved in the external memory. (This step is not mandatory.)
- Next select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition for wiping data & cache respectively from the phone memory. (Make sure that you have taken the backup of all contain from phone memory as it gets wiped in this step.) For help go through this tutorial.
- How to Backup whole ROM / Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) Recovery
- Now you are ready to flash custom ROM. Select install zip followed by choose zip from internal sdcard. Select cm-10.1-2013xxxx-NIGHTLY-kumquat.zip file for installation. Confirm it in next step.
- Installation will take few minutes. In the end you will land in recovery menu again.
- Do wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition again to avoid boot loops.
- Repeat the above step of install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. This time select Gapps file (gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip). Select yes on next screen for confirmation.
- After successful installation of both the files, select +++++go back+++++ option. Then reboot system now.
Well done!! Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via Cyanogenmod10.1 is now successfully running on your Sony Xperia U. Do let us know how it is working for you. If you have any queries regarding article, ask us through the comments. We will try to find solution for them.
Tip: If you don’t like this ROM or you are not comfortable with this ROM, you can easily return back to the previous ROM just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.