Over the years we have seen a huge advancement in technology. Initially there used to be computers, then as technology went on advancing the devices got compact and portable. First laptops and now tablet PCs. Tablet PCs are very compact, and portable allowing you to work anywhere on the go.
And now tablet PCs come with Android operating system providing you with its unique features and wide variety of applications. And being open source it allows you to install many hacks and ROMs also. Basically custom ROMs offer you a whole new experience which is beyond the stock firmware.
Now a very famous custom ROM called Cyanogenmod 10.1 is available for Samasung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, thanks to Elite Recognized XDA developer codeworkx. With this ROM you will be able to taste all new Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean like multiuser feature, actionable notifications, daydream, photosphere camera, buttery smooth interface etc.
Just always keep one thing in mind that being an unofficial build it may have several minor issues. But eventually they will get a fix. Further article explains how to install Android 4.2.2basedCM 10.1 on Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.
Disclaimer:Steps given in this article are considered as risky and may cause damage to your tab. It is highly recommended that you should not follow it unless you are aware with these things. Follow this article completely at your own risk. We or the ROM developer wont be held responsible for any damage caused to your device while attempting these steps.
This guide is applicable only forSamsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1bearing model no P5100andP5110.Dont try it on any other device or variant of the same else it may result in permanent damage to your device.
- Charge your device up to 70% battery level in order not to interrupt the installation procedure.
- EnableUSB Debuggingoption in your tab.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory which includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.
Procedure to Update Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM (Android 4.2.2):
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your tab to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access external SD card data & transfer both the files on the root directory of it.
- Disconnect the tab from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the tab completely. Press & holdVolume down Button + Power Key together until Samsung logo appears. Then you will boot into recovery mode.
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option in the recovery menu, select it & then choose backup to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the internal memory. (Caution!performing this step will erase all the data from internal memory, which includes sms/mms, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you the files & folders located on the SD card of your device. Navigate to the ROM file, select it using power button & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file. Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing all the files, Selectreboot system nowto Restart the tablet.
Tip: You can restore back your previous ROM using TWRP’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now choose the backup you like to restore (or the restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).
Marvelous!!! You’ve successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to Cyanogenmod 10.1. Now customize it as you want. And if you have got any difficulties, you can ask us through comments, we’ll give our best to sort it out.