One major advantage of Nexus devices is that, they are the first ones to get the latest Android updates or even in other words, you can say that Google releases updates for them only. Even basic Nexus devices also get the update immediately where on the other side flagship devices of other companies have to wait for a long time to get them.
Android given for Nexus devices is pure AOSP and no other memory consuming bloat wares are included so it becomes smooth and fast. It is also easy for Android developers to develop custom ROMs based on AOSP code for these devices. That is why such a huge variety of ROMs are available for Nexus devices.
Early in 2013 with release of latest Android 4.2.2, Google have given clear signs that this year is going to be revolutionary in Android world. This update is available to all Nexus devices in OTA form. The update basically consists of minor improvements. But with the help of custom ROMs you can always go beyond that.
Along with the pure Android experience there are some unique features and customizations that custom ROMs offer. Custom ROMs are smoother and faster compared to stock firmwares. Now latest build of AOKP (build 4) ROM which is based on Android 4.2.2 is available for Nexus 7. AOKP is specially known for wide variety of customizations. And you are just few steps away from all new AOKP experience.
Disclaimer : The steps given in this article are considered to be risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you are unaware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this guide, neither we nor AOKP team should be held responsible for the same.
Make a note that this article is intended only for Google Nexus 7 only. Dont try this on any other tablet or mobile or any other variant; otherwise you might end up with some unexpected results.
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level so that you can install the ROM without any interruption.
- Enable / Tick ‘USB Debugging’ option in your Tab.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Your tab data will get lost after installation of this ROM (excluding External storage).
(Important) Your device must have unlocked bootloader & custom recovery installed in it. For installing Clockworkmod Recovery on your tab, follow this guide.
Procedure to Upgrade Google Nexus 7 Tab to AOKP Build4 Custom ROM (Android 4.2.2):
- Download AOKP custom ROM package for your tablet as from official source page.
- Here is the link of Official developement page.
- Also download Gapps package for Jelly Bean.
- Google Apps (Jelly Bean).
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your tab to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access external SD card data & transfer both the files on the root directory of it.
- Disconnect the tab from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the tab completely. Press & hold Volume Up + Volume down Button + Power Key together until recovery mode appears.
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option in the recovery menu, select it & then choose backup to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the internal memory. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from internal memory, which includes sms/mms, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you the files & folders located on the SD card of your device. Navigate to the ROM file, select it using power button & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing all the files, Selectreboot system nowto Restart the tablet.
Tip: You can restore back your previous ROM using CWM’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now choose the backup you like to restore (or the restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).