Google’s Nexus series has given a really tough competition to all big smartphones manufacturing companies in the market. Nexus devices are loaded with tons of great features, the get all the latest updates very quickly plus they are very economic. They are very popular amongst all people and hot favorites for developers.
Google released their third generation Nexus device in conjugation with Samsung namely Samsung Galaxy Nexus. With stunning features like 1.2 GHz dual-core processor, 1 GB RAM,ull HD video recording and NFC it can now have taste of latest Android version 4.2 Jelly Bean as official update for this device is out there.
But custom ROMs always give you something more. Here isAOKP custom ROM based on Android 4.2 for Galaxy Nexus. Along with all AOSP features of Android 4.2 like actionable notifications, photosphere camera, daydream it has got some additional features involving Fully customizable NavBar, Custom boot animation, Customizable Status-bar Toggles etc. Remember that ROM is still in development stage so some minor bugs may be there but soon they will be fixed through updates.
Tutorial given below will guide you through the steps required for installing AOKP custom ROM (Android 4.2) on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Disclaimer: The steps mentioned in given tutorial are considered as risky and may cause damage to your device. It is recommended that you should not follow these steps if you are not aware of all these things. Read the article at your own risk. We or developers are not responsible for any damage caused to your mobile after attempting these steps.
This tutorial is applicable only to Samsung Galaxy Nexus having model number I9250. Implementing this tutorial for some other mobile or variant might give you some unexpected results.
- Charge your mobile at least up to 70% so that there will not be any interruption due to low battery.
- Enable USB Debugging option in your phone.
- As all the data on the mobile gets wiped during installation of ROM, you should take a backup of all your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory.
You must haveunlocked bootloader & Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod / TWRP installed in your phone for flashing AOKP Custom ROM. To unlock bootloader, you can use this guide & for installing Clocckworkmod Recovery 6, follow the guide given here.
Procedure to install AOKP custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- As the Google Apps are not included in this ROM, you have to separately download them and flash them.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean.
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access internal memory data & transfer both the files on the root directory of it
- Disconnect your mobile from PC. Switch it off and boot into recovery mode.
- For booting into recovery mode, press and hold Volume up + Volume down + Power button simultaneously until you land into recovery mode. (Use volume buttons for navigation in recovery mode.)
- It is recommended that you should take a nandroid backup of current system. For that select backup & restore and then backup. This nandroid backup will be saved in external memory.
- Select wipe data/factory reset followed by wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches respectively from the phone memory.
- Select install zip from sdcard followed by chose zip from sdcard. Then select AOKP zip file form the list. Chose yes for confirmation.
- This will take few minutes for installation.
- As stated earlier Google apps are not present in this ROM, you need to flash it separately. For that repeat above step of install zip from sdcard and then chose zip from sdcard and then chose Gapps file.
- After successful flashing of both the files, select go back and reboot system now. Don’t panic if first start takes a bit more time.
Tip: If you dont like this ROM or you are not comfortable with this ROM, you can easily return back to the previous ROM just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.
Great Job!!! Android 4.2 Jelly Bean is now running on your mobile through AOKP custom ROM. Do let us know how this ROM is working for you. If you have any queries, then tell us through comments. We will come up with solution as soon as possible.