Google Nexus 7 is the only device which has got almost fully working Custom ROM based on Jelly Bean & it is none other than famous Cyanogenmod. Yes, Cyanogenmod 10 has been ported for Nexus 7 tablet. Since the ROM is in it’s early stage of development, it contains some bugs inside it. But it is sufficiently working for the daily use. You’ll be happy to flash it & that’s why we have come up with a guide to make you more excited..
Disclaimer : The methods & procedures described here are risky. If you are not aware of the things discussed here, you should not attempt it. In case if any damage happened to your device while following this procedure, neither we nor developer of this ROM should be held responsible for it.
Please note that the guide mentioned here is compatible only with Google Nexus 7 (ASUS Tablet). Please dont try it on any other device/tablet or it may result in hard bricked phone/tab.
Essential Pre-requisites before installing a Custom ROM :
- It is highly recommended to backup all the data (including apps, messages, contacts etc.) since at the end, you’ve to wipe all the data from your tab.
- Ensure that you’ve charged your tablet upto 60 % battery level.
By assuming that you’ve followed all the steps mentioned above, you can nowsafely proceed to installation procedure of CM10.
Procedure To Update Nexus 7 with Cyanogenmod 10 :
- In order to install clockworkmod recovery, your tab must have unlocked bootloader. If you’ve not rooted & unlocked bootloader yet, Follow the guide mentioned in the link below to do the same:
Guide to Root & Unlock Bootloader of Nexus 7 (Official Development Page of Nexus Root Toolkit)
- To install CM10 update on your tab, you need to have custom recovery (clockworkmod recovery) installed on it. If you haven’t installed it already, follow the guide mentioned below to install the same on you tab.
- Clockworkmod For Nexus 7 (Guide).
- Download latest CM10 buid from the official development page (Link is mentioned below).
Latest CM10 For Nexus 7.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which are not present there in ROM by default.
Google Apps (Jelly Bean).
- As soon as you download above 2 files. Connect your tab to PC by using the cable which you’ve got at the time of purchase. Enable mass storage mode on it. Now transfer/copy CM10 package & Google Apps to your tablet’s Memory. Ensure that you are not keeping it in deep directory.
- Now disconnect Nexus 7 from computer. You then need to enter into recovery mode. To do so, switch off the tab completely, press & hold Volume Down button + Volume Up + Power key.
Note : On next step, you have to wipe all the data & caches from your tab’s memory & in case if you do not want this ROM to run on your device its always better to keep Nandroid backup of the same. To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select backup. Now It will backup your whole system.
- After getting into recovery mode, select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the tablet’s memory.
- Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file (which you’ve transferred earlier) Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again.
- The same procedure you have to do for installation of Google Apps. (Just don’t do the above step i.e, wiping data after installation of Gapps). When you finished installation of Gapps, it will land in recovery mode.
- Select reboot system now from the recovery mode itself to Restart the phone.
- Usually first boot of the phone takes some time after flashing of new ROM so be patient.
Congratulations !! You’ve successfully installed the Cyanogenmod 10 ROM on your Nexus 7. Let us know you sayings about this new installed ROM. If you got any question, comment it below. We will try to provide the solution for the same as soon as possible..
Tip : In case if you don’t like this ROM, enter into recovery mode, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select restore & choose your latest backup to restore.