Every year with the release of new version of Android operating system, Google releases a new smartphone along with collaboration with someone. Smartphone series from Google is called NEXUS series. Every new nexus device is like treat to users as well as developers. Nexus devices use original Android by Google that is AOSP source code. And this is main reason that it is easy for developers to develop custom ROMs and other hacks for Nexus devices.
Google launched Nexus S back in 2010 in collaboration with HTC. The device came with on board Gingerbread. But no doubt that being a Nexus device it is updated to latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean by Google themselves.
But the real advantage of Android lies in Custom ROMs and other hacks. Those who are new to Android and want to install custom ROMs, they have to start from bootloader. Bootloader is the piece of code which initiates the sequence of booting OS. Many devices initially have their bootloader locked so the user is unable to install custom ROMs or kernel. But with a particular procedure user can unlock bootloader so that he can install custom ROMs and other hacks.
Nexus S comes with locked bootloader initially. A step by step procedure is given below to unlock bootloader of Google Nexus S.
Disclaimer: The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
This tutorial is applicable only toGoogle Nexus Shaving model numberGT-I9020. Implementing this tutorial for some other mobile or variant might give you some unexpected results.
- Charge your mobile at least up to70%so that there will not be any interruption due to low battery.
- EnableUSB Debuggingoption in your phone.
- As all the data on the mobile gets wiped during installation of ROM, you should take a backup of all your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory.
Procedure to Unlock Bootloader of Google Nexus S I9020 :
- Firstly you need to download these two files which are mentioned below:
- Google USB Driver
Fastboot Files | 404.46 KB
- Install the Google USB Driver on your PC (It will automatically install all essential drivers for your device).
- Extract Fastboot.zip file in your PC. You will find following four files in your extracted folder.
- Now switch off your phone to boot into fastboot mode. To do so, hold Volume Up + Power Buttonsimultaneously until fastboot mode appears.
- After getting into fastboot mode, you’ll see the Android robot & ‘FASTBOOT MODE’ written beneath it.
- After entering into the Fastboot mode, Connect your phone to the PC.
- Open the‘Fastboot‘ folder (Which you’ve extracted earlier).
- Now Open command prompt & Point its directory to the fastboot folder (ORYou can do the same as: open Fastboot folder, Press & hold shift key and then right click on the free space in the same folder.When right clicked (holding shift), you’ll see‘Open Command window here‘ option.Click it & Command prompt will be open pointing to the Fastboot directory).
- Put this command in command prompt :fastboot devices(After entering this command, you’ll see the random numbers appeared in the command prompt.This is to ensure that your device is properly connected).
- Don’t Close the command prompt yet, We will need it in further steps.
- Now type the following command in command prompt :
fastboot oem unlock
- Now on your phone, you will receive an Unlock bootlader request. Use Volume Up button to highlight ‘Yes‘ and Power button to Confirm & Continue.
Nice work! You’ve successfully unlocked your device’s bootloader. You are now free to root, install custom recoveries & ROMs on the same. In case if you have any query with the above procedure, comment it below. We will try our best to come up with the solution.