Android is so global these days. It is very simple and adaptive OS. It has already captured Smartphone market. Now Android runs on E-readers, Netbooks, Car computers, Game consoles and also Smartwatches.
This year along with their flagship, Samsung unleashed this first Smartwatch from their renowned Galaxy Gear named Galaxy Gear. Based on Android platform, this watch comes with some amazing features like 2MP Camera with Autofocus and HD recording, 4GB memory and 512 RAM. Features which you could have never imagined to be included in watch.
Wherever there is Android developers are there with MODs, recoveries, ROMs etc. So how can a watch be exception for that. Now here is a good news for Samsung Gear users. Now the famous TWRP recovery is available for Galaxy Gear. So now watches are also no exception for MODs and ROMs.
TWRP recovery is very famous amongst custom recovery which facilitates installing zip files, taking ROM backups also restoring them. Also you can use it to wipe all the data.
Here in this article we will step by step explain yo how to Root your Galaxy Gear & install TWRP recovery on it.
The Procedure described in this article is risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, we shouldn’t held responsible for it.
This is a reminder that implement this procedure only on Samsung Galaxy Gear and don’t even think to try it on any other device or Smartwatch.
Here are some basic requirements that you need to ensure before you begin with actual procedure:
- Make sure that your Gear is minimum 70% charged so that you will have smooth installation.
- Your PC or Laptop must have device specific drivers installed on it. So make sure you have installed them. If not, follow this link to download and install them.
- Also it is recommended that you temporarily disable security software on your Computer. You can enable them back once the procedure is over.
- In this procedure it is possible that you may lose all your data stored in the Gear, so make sure you do a backup of it on your computer.
Before you install TWRP recovery you must have your Galaxy Gear rooted. So first we will see procedure of Rooting.
- First you need to have Samsung’s Official ADB drivers installed. Get them from here.
- Next you need to have rooting tool called Cydia Impactor. You can download it from here.
- Now go to your Gear’s settings and enable ADB. To do so, go into “Settings” then navigate to the bottom of the menu to “Gear Info.” And click on enable “USB Debugging.”
- After doing that plug your Gear to Computer using USB cable. Wait till all the drivers get installed.
- Now locate the Cydia Impactor file which you have just downloaded and unzip it and open the folder which you have extracted.
- Now double click on Impactor.exe to run it. The default “# drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su” is what you need. Just click on the Start
- Wait till the procedure is complete. the device will look normal but you are rooted.
Once you are rooted, then we can move further to procedure of installation of recovery.
- First of all, download the TWRP recovery file to your computer from the link given below.
- Click here to download.
- You will also need Odin which will help you to install recovery. Download the latest version i.e. 3.09 You can get it from link below.
- Click here to download.
- Now you need to put your Galaxy Gear in downloading mode. To do so hold the Power button for about 5 seconds so the device restarts. Once you see rebooting screen, tap the Power button 3-5 times. Then you will see REBOOT MODE selection screen. Scroll by pressing power button once. When download mode is highlighted again long press Power button to enter it.
- After that, connect your gear to computer using USB cable. And open Odin 3.09.
- In Odin, select AP option. Then you will get a browsing window. In that select the recovery file which you downloaded earlier.
- Remember to keep all the other options as they are.
- And finally press the start button to begin with the flashing procedure. It may take a while so be patient.
- As soon as the process is finished, you will get finished message.
- To boot into recovery follow the same steps as for the downloading mode only instead of selecting downloading mode select recovery.
Hoorey!! You have successfully rooted your Galaxy Gear and installed TWRP recovery. If you have any doubts regarding this process, you can ask them below in comments. Ans stay tuned for more updates.