This is a very great news for AT&T Galaxy Note Owners that Cyanogenmod is now officially supporting their device which bears model number SGH-I717. If you are using unofficial CM9 builds which are ported from some other devices then stop using it since official CM9 is now available for your device. There are chances that the developers which are porting CM9 unofficially from other devices may or may not provide you the latest updates but in case of official CM9, you will get latest updates frequents including their stable, nightly releases. Follow this brief guide to install this official CM9 release on your AT&T Galaxy Note.
Disclaimer : The methods & procedures described here are risky. If you are not aware of the things discussed here, you should not attempt it. In case if any damage happened to your device while following this procedure, neither we nor Cyanogenmod team should be held responsible for it.
Please note that the guide mentioned here is compatible only with AT&T Galaxy Note which bears model number SGH-I717. Please dont try it on any other device (including international Galaxy Note N7000) or it may result in hard bricked phone.
Essential Pre-requisites before installing a Custom ROM :
- Enable USB Debugging from the path mentioned below :
Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
- It is highly recommended to backup all the data from phone memory (including apps, messages, contacts etc.) since at the end, you’ve to wipe all the data from phone memory.
- Ensure that you’ve charged your device upto 60 % battery level.
By assuming that you’ve followed all the steps mentioned above, you can now safely proceed to installation procedure of CM9 ROM.
Procedure To Update AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 With Official Cyanogenmod 9 :
For simplicity we have divided this article in 2 simple steps.
Step 1 : Installation of Clockworkmod Recovery
- To install custom ROMs on your device, you need to have custom recovery (clockworkmod recovery) installed on it. Follow the guide mentioned below to install clockworkmod recovery on your phone.
Procedure to install custom clockworkmod recovery on AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717
Step 2 : Installation of official Cyanogenmod 9
- Download latest Cyanogenmod 9 package from the official development page (Link is mentioned below).
Latest CM9 Package for AT&T Galaxy Note.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which are not installed in ROM by default. (Since Google doesn’t permit to use Gapps on custom builds).
- As soon as you download above file. Connect your device to PC by using the cable which you’ve got at the time of purchase. Enable mass storage mode on it. Now transfer/copy CM9 package to your device’s SD card. Ensure that you are not keeping it in deep directory.
- Now disconnect the phone from computer. You then need to enter into recovery mode. To do so, switch off the device, press & hold Volume Up button + Power key until recovery mode appears.
- After entering into recovery mode, select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file (which you’ve transferred earlier) Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again. Now select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory.
- The same procedure you have to do for installation of Google Apps. (Just don’t do the above step i.e, wiping data after installation of Gapps). When you finished installation of Gapps, it will land in recovery mode.
- Select reboot system now from the recovery mode itself to Restart the phone.
- Usually first boot of the phone takes some time after flashing of new ROM so be patient.
Congrats !! You’ve successfully installed official CM9 on your AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note. Let us know your opinions about this newly installed ROM. In case if you need a help, feel free to comment it below..