To compete with Korean giant like Samsung in Smartphone industry, LG and Google together have launched their latest device Nexus 4. Being a Google device, the quad core monster comes with latest Android 4.2 in-built and offers you a perfect the Google experience. The features what Nexus 4 is offering, it has certainly become a hot topic in Android world and I’m sure you will love to have one. Nexus 4 comes with amazing features but you can take it to another level by flashing custom ROMs. But before you start exploring true features of Android you have to install custom Recovery on your phone.
ClockworkMod Recovery is most famous recovery amongst all custom recoveries due to it’s user friendly interface and functionality. And along with flashing ROMs, you get many other features like backup/restore ROMs with ClockworkMod recovery. Tutorial given below explains the step by step procedure to install ClockoworkMod recovery on Nexus 4.
Disclaimer: The given procedure is considered as risky and may cause damage to your mobile. It is recommended that you should not follow it if you are not familiar with these things. Read this article at your own risk. We or developers are not responsible for any damage caused to your mobile due to attempting these steps to it.
The given tutorial is applicable only for Google Nexus 4 bearing model number E960. Dont implement it to any other mobile or variant else you will get some unwanted result or permanent damage might cause to your mobile.
- Ensure that you have charged your mobile at least up to 70% so that installation process wont get interrupted due to lack of battery power.
- It is better to take a backup of all your important personal data such as SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory.
- You must have USB drivers installed on your computer. Download link for USB drivers for Nexus 4 is given below.
- USB Drivers for Nexus 4.
Procedure to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Google Nexus 4 E960:
- First you have to download fastboot package and ClockworkMod Recovery image for your phone. Download links are given below.
- Fastboot files.
- ClockworkMod Recovery image.
- Additionally you have to download Revert Recovery Disabler. Revert Recovery Disabler is a patch which prevents your phone from reverting back to stock recovery. Download link is given below.
- Revert Recovery Disabler.
- Copy the file revert-recovery-disabler_signed.zip to SD card of your device.
- Extract Fastboot.zip file in your PC. You will find following four files in your extracted folder.
- Now You need to enter into the bootloader mode. For entering into bootloader mode, turn off your phone first.
- Hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Button simultaneously. Then phone will reboot and word “Start” will appear on screen.
- Select Fastboot using Power Button. (Use Volume Up/Down to go up/down & Power Button to select highlighted option).
- After entering into the Fastboot mode, Connect your phone to the PC.
- Open the Fastboot folder (Which you’ve extracted earlier).
- Now Open command prompt & Point its directory to the fastboot folder (OR You can do the same as: open Fastboot folder, Press & hold shift key and then right click on the free space in the same folder.When right clicked (holding shift), you’ll see Open Command window here option. Click it & Command prompt will be open pointing to the Fastboot directory).
- Put this command in command prompt: fastboot devices(After entering this command, you’ll see the random numbers appeared in the command prompt. This is to ensure that your device is properly connected).
- To unlock bootloader of your device type the command “fastboot oem unlock” in command prompt. A warning message will appear on screen. By using volume keys scroll to“Yes” and press the power key to select.
- Now copy the image file of recovery (which you have downloaded) to the Fastboot folder where you have extracted Fastboot files.
- Now type command “recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-mako.img” in the command prompt window to flash the recovery. Once flashing process is complete you will get message saying finished or done.
- In fastboot mode on your phone navigate the option Recovery Mode using volume keys and select it using power button to enter into recovery which you just now installed.
- In recovery select option Install zip from SD card followed by Choose zip from SD card then select the file revert-recovery-disabler_signed.zip. and confirm installation. Wait until installation is finished. This will make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is permanently installed on your phone.
- Restart your phone by selecting Reboot System option.
That’s it!! ClockworkMod recovery is now successfully installed on your phone. Enjoy flashing custom ROMs and other hacks. Do let us know how it is working for you via comments.