Samsung launched Galaxy Tab 10.1 with huge 10.1 inch screen and other promising specifications. The Tab was launched with Android 3.0 Honeycomb which was specially designed for Tablets. As newer version came it received the Official Ice Cream Sandwich update from Samsung themselves. But further no official updates were provided.
Anyways you can still update your device to latest Android OS as developers are always there to port custom ROMs for you. Custom ROMs are based on original Android released by Google. It has got its own advantages like simple, customizable, fast and smooth. You can see the power of pure Android. Recently even Stock Android (AOSP) powered versions of new flagships Galaxy S4 and HTC One are also announced.
AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) custom ROM is based on pure stock Android. It is similar to Cyanogenmod. But AOKP is famous for their variety of customizations. Also being based on Jelly Bean you will get latest Jelly Bean features like actionable notifications, Google Now etc.
Now AOKP custom ROM is available for Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. The article given below explains procedure to install it on your Tab.
Disclaimer:The steps mentioned in the article given below are considered as risky and may cause damage to your tablet. It is recommended that you should not follow the given article if you are unaware of all these things. Carefully follow steps at your own risk. We or developers cannot be held responsible for any damage cause to your tablet.
The given article is strictly meant for Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for model numbers GT-7500,GT-75100, I905. Don’t implement it to any other tablet or variant. Or you may have undesired results.
- Make sure that your tab is at least 75% charged so that installation will proceed without any interruption due to power loss.
- Take a backup of your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card since all your data gets wiped during installation of ROM.
- A custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) or TWRP must be installed on your tablet. Without this you cant flash a custom ROM.
Procedure to flash AOKP Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1:
- First download AOKP ROM package for your tab from official source page on your PC. Here are the downloading links.
- AOKP Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi P7510
- AOKP Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G P7500
- Also download Gapps Package for your Jelly Bean 4.2.
- Click here to download.
- Copy the downloaded files to external SD card of your tab from PC using USB cable. And make sure that USB debugging is on while copying the data.
- Disconnect tab. Switch off the tab. You need to boot into recovery mode for flashing the ROM. To do so, press & hold Volume up key + Power button simultaneously until you boot into recovery mode.
- It is recommended to take a backup of current system. So take a nandroid backup by selecting backup & restore option and then backup. This nandroid backup will be saved in the external memory.
- Now, select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches on the tablet.
- Next, select install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. Select AOKP zip file and confirm it by selecting yes in next step.
- This will take few minutes. In the end you will again land into recovery mode.
- Now repeat the above step for installing GApps package. (I.e. select install zip from sdcard followed chose zip from memory card and then select GApps package).
- After successful installation of both ROM and GApps, select ++++go back++++ and then reboot system now. Your tab will reboot now. Just keep in mind that first start may take a while.
Tip:If you want to uninstall this ROM and return back to the stock one, you can easily do it just by booting into the recovery mode. Select backup & restore option followed by restore& chose your latest backup to restore.
Excellent!! AOKP Custom ROM based on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean is now up and running on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Report us how it is working. And if you have any doubt, ask it in comments section below.