Currently, there are many manufactures that are offering Android OS on their devices. But only some of them are getting succeed. Reason? Well, there are many things about a phone that affects mobile marketing. Some of them are- Build Quality, Display, Camera, Performance / Battery Life and User interface etc. As far as competition is concerned, manufacturers are trying their best to keep their customers happy. And how they are doing this? The answer is simple. They do release frequent firmware updates for their devices & gain people’s trust. This is why Samsung is currently leading in Mobile market.
Recently, Samsung has rolled out Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for their Legendary phone Galaxy S2. The same is also rolled out for most of the carrier locked variants of Galaxy S2. And now, AT&T has delivered the swift gift to their Galaxy S2 customers by providing the same. The update is code named as UCMD8. Below is the list of changes you’ll observe in UCMD8 Firmware.
- Android 4.1.2 Build JZO54K.
- Buttery Smooth Performance & Great Stability (Thanks to Project Butter).
- Multi-View Feature (Multi Windows Multitasking, same as in Galaxy Note 2).
- Multi-View can also be disabled
- Page Buddy.
- Notification Panel can now be customized.
- New Additions in Notification Panel.
- Smart Rotation (Screen Display adjusts to your angle of sightings).
- Continues Input in Samsung Keyboard (Like Skype or Android 4.2 Keyboard).
- Samsungs Cloud services.
- Features like Direct Call, Smart Stay and Pop-up Play.
- New Widgets From the Galaxy S3.
- 2 Home screen modes (Easy & Advance Mode).
- New Notifications bar.
- Google Now.
- HDR video.
- Purple effect on screen removed.
- Secure boot status.
- Move Apps to sd.
- New Camera App
- New Setting Icons.
So, go ahead and flash your AT&T Galaxy S2 with all new Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean UCMD8 Firmware
Disclaimer: Steps mentioned in this article are considered as risky and can cause damage to your phone. We highly recommend that you should think once before implementing it on your phone. Read the article completely & follow all the steps at your own risk. We should not be held responsible for any damage happened to your device, while performing below mentioned steps.
This firmware is meant for AT&T Galaxy S2 I777 only. Using this guide on any other model or variant (of S2) might give you undesired results. Your device may also get bricked by doing so.
Things You’ll Require:
- AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 (Of course).
- Windows based Laptop or PC.
- USB Cable to make a connection between the phone & Computer.
- WinRAR / 7-zip or Similar Software (to unpack firmware package).
- Your Device Must be charged at least up 75% battery level.
- It is always recommended to backup all your data from internal storage memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.) as it will get wiped during flashing process (SD card will not be erased but still make a backup of it as well).
- Device specific drivers (Samsung Drivers) are necessary and must be installed on your computer in order to make the phone recognized by PC. You can install them by installing Samsung Kies. Download Kies from here. OR Download appropriate device drivers (according to Windows, you’re running) directly from the links mentioned below:
- Windows 32 bit x86 drivers
- Windows 64 bit x64 drivers
- Disable all security related software (like Antivirus) installed on your PC.
Procedure to Upgrade AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 to Android 4.1.2 UCMD8 Jelly Bean Firmware:
- Download Odin Multi Downloader v3.07 (Firmware flashing Program).
- Odin Multi Downloader v3.07
- Download Android 4.1.2 UCMD8 Jelly Bean Firmware Package from the link provided below:
- Download Android 4.1.2 UCMD8 for AT&T Galaxy S2 i777
- Extract firmware package (.zip file) to any convenient location on your PC. You’ll find a file with .tar.md5 extension.
- Now, turn off the phone completely. Enter into download mode. For doing the same, press & hold Volume down + Home button (Middle one). While holding both buttons, simply press Power key till you see the warning message appeared on your phone screen. Press Volume up to continue. Finally you’ll see the construction Green Android robot & downloading written below it. It means that your device has entered in download mode.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader tool on your Computer (which you’ve just downloaded) & connect the phone using USB cable.
- If your phone is connected successfully, youll see that the ID:COM section (located at top left) is turned blue with a random COM port number appeared below it. Also, you’ll see “Added” text appeared in message box (If your ID:COM box doesnt turn out to be blue, don’t worry. Just install Samsung drivers using the link mentioned in Pre-requisites).
- In Odin, tick PDA tab & choose “I777UCMD8_I777ATTMD8_ATT.tar.md5″ file. Keep all the remaining options as they are & make sure that you have NOT ticked Re-Partition box.
- Finally, hit the Start button to initiate the flashing process of Jelly Bean firmware on your Galaxy S2 i777. Wait till Odin finishes its task. When flashing process gets done, Odin will display the ‘Pass’ message above ID:COM (with the Green colored background) & device will restart automatically.
(Conditional) However if your phone gets stuck or you get a fail message then close the Odin window, disconnect phone from computer, remove battery and re-insert it and follow the same procedure again.
- Unplug the device from Computer (only if you get pass message in Odin).
- Now you will need to factory reset the phone in order to ensure proper functioning of this firmware.
- To factory reset, youll have to boot in the recovery mode. The same can be achieved by following some simple steps.
- Switch off the phone (you can do this by removing battery or pressing power button).
- Press & hold Volume up + Volume down together & then press Power key. You can release Power button as soon as Samsung logo appears.
- Your device is now booted into recovery mode.
- Since touch wont work in recovery, use Volume up/down & power key only for navigation & selection respectively.
- Now highlight Wipe data/factory reset by using Volume buttons & select it using power key. The same you have to do with Wipe Cache partition.
- After performing required actions in recovery, finally hit reboot system now option to restart the phone.
- You will observe that the phone is taking longer time to boot (than usual) but dont worry, this is for the first time only.
Well Done! Android 4.1.2 UCMD8 Firmware is successfully installed on your AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-i777. Let us know how the update is working for you. If you’ve any questions / problems, share them with us, using a comment section below, we’ll try to solve it as soon as possible. Enjoy!
And lastly, don’t forget to +1 this post on Google+.