The need to backup data has become more relevant today. Once a latest Firmware or a Custom ROM is flashed, it not only gives you a new experience but also brings a drastic improvement in the functioning of your Smartphone. But sometimes it may bring some drawbacks on your device. These may include damaging or wiping of your Access point settings, network signal and Call Logs. Wiping of APNs can bring problem while connecting to internet. Damage to the EFS folder can result into network related problems. Flashing ROMs can even wipe all the called and received history. In each of these problems, backing up data can prove much worthy.
Here in this article, we’ll be guiding you on how to take a proper backup of your device Access Point Settings, EFS folder and Call Logs.
If you often flash ROMs on your device, then you must be definitely suffering from configuring the APN settings on your device.
APNs (Access Point Names) are basically the settings to connect to the internet with your mobile connection. This APN setting can be installed manually with the help of a particular cellular company whose SIM card you are using. In case you make a backup of these APNs then you dont need to configure them each time you install a new ROM. For that we suggest you to install APN Backup & Restore app. It is quite simple app that allows you to export the carrier APN settings. For Android 4.0 ICS you will have to install this app as a system application. Lets see the full description on how to use the App.
Backing up APNs (using an App)
- Firstly, launch the app and click on the Backup APNs tab on the main screen.
- Now enter the name for the backup file and then click OK button.
- The Backup will complete within a minute and a popup message will be shown. Tap on Close to close it.
- The backup will be stored in /sdcard/APNBackupRestore folder.
Restoring APNs (using an App)
- Firstly, launch the app and click on the Restore APNs tab on the main screen.
- The list of backups that you made will be shown. Choose any one of them and click on Ok button.
- It will ask whether you want to run a duplicate APN test, click the Yes button.
Download APN Backup & Restore
- The Restore will complete within a minute and a popup message will be shown. Tap on Close to close it.
Same like Apps, you must backup a folder named EFS which is present in the root directory of your phones internal partition. Actually EFS is a system folder that contains some of the main device identity stuffs like your Wifi address, your Bluetooth MAC address, product codes and the most important IMEI address. The IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity number which is a 15 digit unique number and is given to every handset for accessing a particular network. All the network related operations like making or receiving calls, using data network are carried out through this IMEI number. But there is always a chance of wiping out this sensitive folder while flashing a Custom ROM or installing a firmware on your device. All the contents within the EFS folder may also get corrupted while performing these tasks. When this happens, your IMEI number will also get damaged or wiped and you’ll not get the required network signal. Hence backing up this folder is very crucial for safely installing Custom ROMs and recovery images on your device. Thereafter you don’t need to get worried about the network access.
There are two ways to backup EFS folder:
- You can simply copy the EFS folder from the root location of your phones internal partition to your external SD card. For that youll need to install apps like Root Browser, Root Explorer, Galaxy toolbox or X-plore File manager. By doing so, you can easily restore the EFS folder once it gets wiped out.
Note: You can access the EFS folder only and only if your Android device is rooted.
- Another way to backup is by installing an app named EFS Pro. All the sensitive partitions and NV data of your device can be easily backed up with this app.
EFS Pro (App)
- Can automatically detect and terminate Samsung Kies app on start-up.
- Can backup and restore all the partition contents to and from the compressed archives.
- For hassle free restoring it easily detects the backup archives on your device and even on your PC.
- To clearly display all the important partition images, it supports Device filter.
- For ensuring the correct way of operations carried out it can extract and read your devices PIT files.
- For verifying the integrity of data written it checks the MD5 hash.
- Included an option to format all the contents within the EFS folder.
- It supports Qualcomm device thus allowing new features like backup/restore of the full NV item range.
- For Qualcomm repair operations it can generate IMEI in reversed HEX format.
- Can read or write or send all the service programming codes on your Qualcomm devices.
- Can automatically detect and switch off USB settings.
- Included an option for repairing NV data so as to fix the Unknown baseband and No signal issues.
- Included an option to restore the NV data files so as to fix the corrupt and incorrect IMEI number issues.
Download EFS Pro
- Your device must have root access.
- Compatible only on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8.
- Microsoft .net framework 4.0 must be installed on your computer.
As long as the backup is concerned, only the call logs are the things whose backup is not possible on your email account. Call logs are the records of phone numbers that you called or received from. This list is automatically updated as and when you make or receive a call. Google allows Android users to backup some data of your phone like contacts, messages etc. on their email account and in case you do a full phone reset, all the data can be easily restored back. However, it does not create a backup of your call logs. For that there is a simple, small but very useful app called ‘Call Logs Backup & Restore’.
Call Logs Backup & Restore (App)
This app helps you in backing and restoring all your Call logs history. It safely backups the files and stores them under the directory /sdcard/CallLogBackupRestore folder by default. Later on you can copy them on your PC for more safety.
Android, by default keeps history of last 500 call logs. Call Logs Backup & Restore is a free app easily available on Google Play store that lets you do exactly what it says to. The backup of your call logs created can be restored back either on the same phone or a new one. Let’s see some more features of this app.
- Automatic schedule of the backups can be created as per your need.
- Backup is created in XML format, which is not dependent on the Android version you’re using. So you can view them on any phone.
- The XML format can be converted in any other format and even can be viewed on PC.
- Backup contents can be easily viewed from within the app.
- Included option to specify the backup folder.
- Included option to email a backup file.
The app needs access of the following:
- Storage: For creating the backing files on the SD card.
- Network Connection: For displaying Advertisements.
- Run at start-up: For the scheduled backups.
- Social Information: For writing the history and displaying the Contacts in the backup files.
- Vibration control: For vibration of phone after an operation completes.
- Prevent low battery: For preventing the phone from switching off due to low battery while a backup operation is in progress.
You must definitely try it out.
Download Call Logs Backup & Restore