A new firmware update of ICS 4.0.4 – XXBLG6 has been rolled out for the international Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. It is specifically rolled out for United Kingdom / Europe countries. Samsung has made some noticeable changes in this firmware update which includes audio crackling issue, removing of some media apps (due to some Apple’s petition) etc. This update can be installed from the phone itself by using Software Update feature which is located at “Settings->About Phone->Software Update” & it is about 28 MB in size to download.
But those who want to flash it manually can follow the steps mentioned in this article..
Disclaimer : The methods & procedures described here are risky. If you are not aware of the things discussed here, you should not attempt it. In case if any damage happened to your device while following this procedure, neither we nor developer of this ROM should be held responsible for it.
Please note that the guide mentioned here is compatible only & only with International Samsung Galaxy S3 which bears model number GT-I9300. Please DON’T try it on any other device (including Sprint/Verizon variant) or it may result in hard bricked phone.
Procedure to update Samsung Galaxy S3 with ICS 4.0.4 XXBLG6 firmware :
- Download Odin Multi Downloader which we will be using for flashing the firmware.
- Odin v3.04
- Download ICS 4.0.4 firmware package from the link mentioned below:
- XXBLG6 firmware package
- Extract the firmware package to getI9300XXBLG6_I9300OXABLG6_I9300XXLG6_HOME.tar.md5 file.
- Now boot into downloading mode. To do so, switch off your device completely, press & hold Volume down + Home Button + Power key simultaneously. Read the warning & press Volume up to continue.
- Now open Odin Multi Downloader.
- Connect your device to the PC by keeping it in downloading mode.
- As soon as youll connect device to the Computer, youll see that the ID:COM section (located at the left top of screen) is turned yellow. This is to ensure that your device is connected properly. If ID:COM section doesnt turned out to be yellow then you need to install drivers for your device (or install kies software from the CD which you got at the time of purchase).
- In Odin, Select PDA tab & chooseI9300XXBLG6_I9300OXABLG6_I9300XXLG6_HOME.tar.md5 file by keeping all the remaining settings as it is.
- Press Start button to initiate the process.
- As soon as flashing process gets finished, ID:COM section will turn Green with the Pass written above it. (Dont disconnect the phone until you see the Pass message in Odin).
Tip : If Odin gets stuck while flashing the firmware or seems to be not working, don’t panic ! Just terminate the Odin, disconnect the phone from PC, remove battery, reinsert it, connect it to the PC & do the procedure again.
- Disconnect the phone from Computer.
- Now you have to boot into the recovery mode. To boot in recovery mode, press & hold Volume up + Home button + Power key until it appears.
- In recovery mode use Volume up/down button to highlight the option & power key to select the same. Now select wipe data/factory reset to wipe the data from phone memory & wipe cache partition to wipe generated caches.
- After wiping the data & caches, select reboot system now to restart the phone
- It will take some time to restart the phone than the usual.
If you followed all the instructions properly, your device will be running the latest ICS 4.0.4 XXBLG6. To check Android version, select Settings -> About Phone. Share your thoughts on newly installed firmware with us & if you have got any difficulties, comment it below, we will try our best to sort out the same.