Custom ROMs is what one of the major advantage of Android OS over other systems. There is a large variety of custom ROMs available for most of the android phones. But the thing about Custom ROMs is that most of them are in development stage hence unstable. So once you are done with testing there is no use of them in regular usage of your phone.
So, minor bugs or errors present in them make them tedious and difficult for daily use. So stock ROMs get advantage over custom ROMs in this section. They are very smooth to use and have great compatibility.
There are ways if you ever want to go back to comfortable stock ROMs. First is that you can restore a backup of stock ROM from custom recovery. But if you don’t have one then also you can do it. Various companies have provided various methods. In case of Samsung phones firmware files are flashed through tool called Odin. Sony has their flashtool to flash firmware. Similarly HTC has RUU wizard namely Rom Update Utility.
HTC devices can be reverted back to stock ROM with the help of this RUU. It is like a factory reset. Your device is also unrooted once you flash stock ROM.
Following article explains how to install stock RUU on HTC One V. Just follow simple steps to have your phone brand new as if you have just purchased it.
The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
Please remember that, the guide mentioned here is only applicable for HTC One V (GSM Variant). Do not try it on any other device or variant it may result in undesired results.
- Your phone must be charged at least up to 70% battery level to have uninterrupted installation process.
- USB debugging mode must be enabled.
- Since all the data on mobile gets wiped during the process, it is better to take a backup of important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory. Following links will guide you with backing up your device completely.
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- How to Backup whole ROM / Firomware via Clockworkmod (CWM) Recovery
- You must have device specific drivers installed on your computer. Make sure you have them. You can download and install them from here.
- If you have unlocked the bootloader then relock it before going for this procedure.
- If you have custom recovery and custom kernel installed on your phone then revert back to stock recovery and kernel.
Warning: Installing the ROM Update Utility (RUU) will delete ALL information and data on your Android phone.
- First you have to install stock kernel and stock recovery to install stock RUU. So download stock recovery and kernel from link given below. You will also require fastboot files. Link to download fastboot files is also given.
- Fastboot Files
- Stock Recovery and Kernel for HTC One V
- First extract fastboot flies in a folder
- Then extract the downloaded file on computer and you will get image files of stock kernel and recovery.
- Put image files of kernel and recovery in folder in which you have put fastboot files.
- Boot your device in Fastboot mode and flash recovery and kernel with fastboot commands.
- Now you are ready to install the RUU.
- First download the RUU file according to your region from the link given below.
- Stock RUU for HTC One V
- Now connect your phone to computer using USB cable and your computer must recognize the device.
- Once you are done with this, run the downloaded setup on your computer and follow the steps given below to install stock RUU on your device.
- On the Welcome screen, click Next to begin the RUU installation.
- Check the listed instructions in the dialog box and make sure you have done them. Click Next to proceed.
- A message will then be displayed indicating that the utility is verifying and acquiring information about the Android phone as preparation for the update process. Wait for this verification process to be finished.
- After the verification process, current information about the Android phone will be displayed. Click Update to proceed.
- Below the Android phone information, information about the current image version and the new image update version will be displayed. If you are sure that you want to install the new RUU, click Next to proceed.
- A confirmation message will appear and show the time it will take to install the necessary files (including radio image) to the Android phone. Click Next to begin the update. A progress bar will run through the screen during the update process.
Note: In the middle of the update process, the progress bar may stop moving. This is normal as the RUU is automatically adjusting itself to complete the update process.
- When you see the screen below, it means the RUU update is complete. Click Finish to exit the utility.
- After this step disconnect your phone from PC and it will be started in stock HTC Sense home screen.
If RUU installation fails. And Android phone always boots in the RUU failed mode and cannot enter the Android Home screen anymore.
This is normal and can be recovered. And here is the solution.
Follow the instructions below to reset your Android phone and to establish a connection with the PC:
- Disconnect your Android phone from the USB cable.
- Reset your Android phone (Remove and reinstall the battery).
- Reconnect your Android Phone to the USB cable.
- Check if the Android phone is recognized by the PC.
- Return to the ROM Update Utility.
You have successfully installed stock firmware on HTC One V. Now your device is just like you have purchased it brand new. Enjoy HTC Sense 4 along with stock Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich. And if you have any doubts with the procedure above, please ask them below in comments. We will come up with help as soon as possible.