Many Android developers are busy in providing the latest Android 4.4 KitKat firmware for the new flagship devices. The Smartphones, for which these KitKat updates aren’t available yet, are expected to get the same till the start of March 2014. Meanwhile, many third party Android developers are working hard to roll out Custom ROMs. This way you can possibly enjoy the new advanced features on your device.
It was two years ago when the Samsung Company launched Galaxy Nexus i9250 the great smartphone for its time, combined with the best available specs and a completely redesigned Android 4.0 Ice-cream Sandwich OS. This first smartphone to run on ICS was appreciated by all. Since then many Nexus devices were launched with new Android updates. This Nexus i9250 smartphone received three major Android updates after ICS.
When Google unveiled the latest Android 4.4 KitKat, everyone had believed rather was confident that this latest update will definitely arrive for the impressive Nexus smartphone. But there was disappointment all over when Google decided that it was time to put an end to support this device. The Nexus users had no chances to enjoy and experience the KitKat flavor on their device. There came the Cyanogenmod development community who did something that Google couldn’t or didn’t want to do. This CM team took a major step and launched the first stable KitKat ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 devices.
This stable CM Custom ROM will bring all the KitKat features along with the Cyanogenmod features on your Nexus i9250. The refurnished Google home with new launcher, new phone dialer app, screen recording, new gallery and new quick office app, all these can be experienced on your device. Although everything works in it, there are some issues as given below.
- Sometimes the camera’s HDR mode doesn’t work.
- There is an animation glitch when taking screenshots (the screenshots themselves come out just fine).
This Custom firmware is an unofficial build of Cyanogenmod 11 and is said to be working well. But as it is still in beta stage, it has missed much of the customization features from Cyanogenmod. Don’t worry as this nightly update is fixed weekly, the bugs will surely get vanished. So if you are looking for a stable and less buggy KitKat ROM for your Galaxy Nexus, then you have came at the right place. Read further for a proper installation process regarding the same.
Everything given below must be performed all at your own risk. If anything happens to your device by following this guide, then you and only you will be responsible for that. Although the chances that your Galaxy Nexus will get damage are least. But still read and follow all the step by step procedure given below properly without committing any mistake.
This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy Nexus model number I9250. Implementing this on any other device or variant may damage the device permanently. So check and verify your device model number from Homescreen–> Menu–>Settings –> About Phone.
- There are chances that your device gets switched off due to lack of battery power. So do check that your device battery is charged at least up to 80% to avoid the interruption during the flashing process.
- For improving your battery life, you can follow our guide:
- How to Improve Battery Life of an Android Device (Tips).
- Backup all your important phone data including contacts, SMS/MMS and call logs etc. before proceeding further. This is recommended as everything gets wiped in the last step of procedure.
- For backing up Contacts & Messages, you can refer this guide:
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- For backing up Call logs, APNs & EFS folder, you can refer this article:
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- (Important!) For installing Android 4.4 KitKat you must install a latest Custom Recovery tool on your Galaxy Nexus. If you haven’t installed it yet, then do that immediately since it is must for installing CM 11 Custom ROM.
- Download the Cyanogenmod 11 Custom ROM from the given link below:
- Click Here to Download
- Download the latest Google Apps which contain Gmail, Play store, Gtalk, maps etc. from the given link below:
- Click here to Download
- After downloading these two files connect your device to PC using the USB cable and transfer them to your device external storage. Don’t place them in the deep directories. Also remember not to extract them.
- Now you need to enter into recovery mode. For that disconnect mobile from PC and switch it off completely. Now press and hold Volume Up + Volume down + Power button simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
- After entering into recovery mode make a nandroid backup of your current ROM. This nandroid backup is the backup of whole operating system which can be completely regained back if you face any problem with this ROM. You can follow our guide for taking a proper nandroid backup:
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- Now return to the main menu of recovery and navigate to the ‘install zip from SD card’ option & on the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’ option. This will show you all the folders and files located on your SD card. Now navigate to CM 11 package file which you’ve copied earlier & select it. Confirm the installation by pressing ‘Yes’. This will start the actual installation process.
- The CM 11 flashing process on your Galaxy Nexus will hardly last few minutes to complete. After successful completion of the installation process, again navigate to the recovery mode and select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ option. This is necessary to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively. Also this step can be used to overcome the boot loops issue.
- Use the same procedure as given above while flashing Google Apps. But remember not to perform the last step of wiping data after installing these Google Apps.
- All the flashing process completes here. You just need to restart your device now. For doing so, navigate to the ‘reboot system now’ option from the recovery mode and select it. Remember that the first boot will take more time to start than usual.
Note: If you face any problem while installing this CM 11 Custom ROM and want to restore back your previous Rom, then you can do that by going back to the recovery mode again using the same steps as mentioned above and select ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next screen select ‘Restore’ option.
Yeah! You did it! The Cyanogenmod 11 nightly build Custom ROM running on the latest Android 4.4 KitKat has been successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250. All new look and features of Android KitKat are waiting for you. Go enjoy them. Do tell us your views and experience after using this ROM. Also don’t forget to comment us if you face any difficulty or trouble while going through this procedure. Till then Enjoy!