About a year a ago Samsung unveiled Galaxy S4 as their flagship device. As expected they released it in different variant and one of them is Galaxy S4 Mini. It looks identical to it’s parent device expect it is smaller in size and has lesser features.
Samsung has already announced that it will receive official Android 4.4.2 KitKat update.But we are well aware of the fact that it will take more time. In meantime you can try custom ROM based on Android 4.4 KitKat. Cyanogenmod 11 is already compiled for Galaxy S4 Mini and moreover it is bug free compared to other custom ROMs.
You may not get all the KitKat features in this ROM as some of them are designed only for Nexus devices. Still it will be a pure Android 4.4.2 experience. Execute few simple steps to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini.
Procedure mentioned below for flashing the custom ROM, is risky and may cause damage to your device. Newbies should take precautions while flashing the custom ROM. Carefully read the article first and execute the steps. If anything goes wrong with your mobile, we or developers are not responsible for it.
This build of Cyanogenmod is compiled only for Samsung galaxy S4 Mini with model number I9190. Do not make any attempt to flash it on any other variant or device. Otherwise it will cause severe damage to it.
- First of all check the battery status. It is recommended to charge mobile at least up to 70% to avoid any interruptions.
- As we are wiping all the data from internal memory during the procedure, it is better to take a backup of important stuff like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card. You may find following articles helpful for it.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- You need a custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery to flash any custom ROM. Do not flash it through stock recovery. (CWM v220.127.116.11 or above for Android 4.4 custom ROM). Refer this article to flash it.
- Download latest build of Cyanogenmod 11 for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini from official development page.
- CM11 for Galaxy S4 Mini.
- Cyanogenmod doesn’t include Google apps like Gmail, Play Store etc. So you need to download and flash this GApps package separately.
- Gapps for Android 4.4. KitKat.
- After downloading both these files, connect mobile to PC through USB cable and copy both files to the external memory card. Do not extract them.
- Disconnect mobile from PC. Switch off the device and boot into recovery mode by pressing volume up + home + power button simultaneously.
- Make a nandroid backup of the system. It will be helpful in future if anything goes wrong in the process. Refer this article to take nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partitions afterwards. This will clear all the data from internal memory.
- Next select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Select cm11.zip for installation.
- It will take few minutes for installation.
- In order to avoid boot loops, do wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partition again after flashing the ROM.
- Repeat step of install zip from sdcard followed by chose zip from sdcard for GApps.
- After successfully flashing both the files, press back button and then select reboot system now. Remember first boot take more time than usual.
Congratulation! You have successfully installed Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini through Cyanogenmod 11. Share your experience about the ROM. If you have any doubts regarding procedure, ask us in the comments section. We are always there to help you.
Tip: In case you want to revert to previous ROM you can easily do it just by entering into Recovery mode. Then select the Backup and Restore option from the recovery mode. Then select restore option & choose your latest backup to restore. Even you can flash official firmware.