Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G hasn’t got Jelly Bean update yet, but isn’t it frustrating to wait for the official update to roll out ? since Samsung has released ICS updates for the same device somewhere in the month of June (too late). Being open source Android has got many privileges & by taking the advantage of those, developers mod the original Android to make it reliable & which we called as Custom ROMs. Now those who don’t want to wait for the official update to come out, XDA Senior membercodeworkx has made it possible to port famous custom ROM Cyanogenmod 10 (which is based on latest Android build i.e Jelly bean 4.1) for your device & we have come up with a short tutorial on the same.
Since the ROM is in it’s early stage of development (alpha stage), it may contain several bugs, therefore ensure that you are comfortable to go ahead with it.
Disclaimer : The methods & procedures described here are risky. If you are not aware of the things discussed here, you should not attempt it. In case if any damage happened to your device while following this procedure, neither we nor developer of this ROM should be held responsible for it.
Please note that the guide mentioned here is compatible only with Galaxy S2 which bears model number GT-I9100G. Please dont try it on any other device (including international Galaxy S2 I9100) or it may result in hard bricked phone.
Procedure To Update Galaxy S2 I9100G with Cyanogenmod 10:
For simplicity we have divided this article in 3 simple steps.
Step 1 : Base Firmware Installation
- In order to run this ROM, your device should be running ICS 4.0.x ROM. Follow the link mentioned below which will guide you to install stock ICS ROM on Galaxy S2.
Procedure To Install ICS 4.0.3 XXLPQ on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G.
Step 2 : Installation of Clockworkmod Recovery
- To install custom ROMs on your device, you need to have custom recovery (clockworkmod recovery) installed on it. Follow the guide mentioned below to install clockworkmod recovery on your phone.
Procedure to install custom clockworkmod recovery on Samsung Galaxy S2 Running ICS 4.0.3 XXLPQ
Step 2 : Installation of CM10 ROM
- Download latest CM10 package from the official development page (Link is mentioned below).
- Latest CM10 Package For Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which are not pre-installed in ROM by default.
Google App For Jelly Bean.
- As soon as you download above 2 files. Connect your device to PC by using the cable which you’ve got at the time of purchase. Enable mass storage mode on it. Now transfer/copy that 2 files to your device’s internal SD card. Ensure that you are not placing it in deep directory.
- Now disconnect the phone from computer. You then need to enter into recovery mode. To do so, switch off the device, press & hold Volume Up button + Home Button + Power key until recovery mode appears.
Note : On next step, you have to wipe all the data & caches from your device’s phone memory & in case if you do want this ROM to run on your device its always better to keep Nandroid backup of the same. To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select backup. Now It will backup your whole system (excluding SD card).
- After entering into recovery mode, select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory.
- Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file (which you’ve transferred earlier) Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again. Now
- Same way you have to install kernel file & Google Apps. (Just don’t do the above step i.e, wiping data after installation of Kernel & Gapps). When you finished installation of Gapps, press back button to go to the main menu of the recovery.
- Now select reboot system now from the recovery mode itself to Restart the phone.
- Usually first boot of the phone takes some time after flashing of new ROM so be patient.
Congratulations !! Galaxy S2 I9100G is now running CM10 which is based on Latest Jelly Bean 4.1. Share your thoughts about this newly installed ROM with us. In case if you need a help, feel free to comment it below..
Tip : To restore the ROM which you’ve backup early, enter into recovery, select Backup & Restore -> Restore -> (your latest backup).