Cyanogenmod 10.1 is almost ported to all high end devices like Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note, HTC One X, Xperia T, Galaxy S2 etc. The only device that wasn’t included in the list at that time was US variant of Galaxy S2 and that because of some issues. You might be knowing that, CM (get.cm) team allows only those CM ROMs that are close to stable build. Whenever the ROM is stable enough, they quickly make it Official and the same is then made available for download. But that was just a matter of time. So no more disappointments, as CM10.1 is now officially available for T-Mobile Galaxy S2 (Hercules) T989 too.
CM 10.1 is based on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean. (Soon it will be merged with Android 4.2.2 too. But it will take some time for CM team to build Android 4.2.2 based ROM). With latest Android version and ultra performance, CM offers variety of customizations like status bar tweaks, Quick Settings Panel, modded kernel (to boost performance), customizable app drawer etc.
There might be some issues with the ROM (that are negligible though). But still I recommend you to flash CM10.1 on your T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989. So, if you have decided to flash Cyanogenmod 10.1, let’s check out the detailed procedure mentioned below that will help you in upgrading your phone to Android 4.2.1 via CM10.1.
Disclaimer: The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this on your phone, if you are unaware of these things. Follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage caused to your device while applying this tutorial, we or CM team won’t be held responsible for it.
The guide works only with T-Mobile Galaxy S2 (US Variant) bearing SGH-T989 model number. Dont try it on any other device or variant of the same else it may result in permanent damage to your device.
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level so that ROM installation won’t be interrupted.
- Enable / Tick ‘USB Debugging’ option in your phone.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Data from internal memory will get lost after the ROM installation (excluding External storage).
(Important) Your device must have custom recovery like CWM or TWRP installed.
Procedure to Upgrade T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 to Android 4.2.1 via Cyanogenmod 10.1:
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to internal memory & transfer both the files on the root directory of it. (For this you need to have proper drivers installed in your PC).
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the phone completely (until it vibrates). Press & hold Volume Up + Volume down Button + Power Key together until recovery mode appears (you can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until recovery mode shows up).
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option in the recovery menu, select it & then choose backup to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the internal memory. (Caution! performing this step will vanish all the data from internal memory, which includes sms/mms, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you all the files & folders located on the SD card of your device. Navigate to the ROM file (cm-10.1-xxxxxxxx-NIGHTLY-hercules.zip), select it using power button (unless youre using touch CWM) & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish installing both files, select “reboot system now” to Restart the phone.
Tip: You can restore back your previous ROM using CMW’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now choose the backup you like to restore (or the restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).
There you go! Android 4.2.1 based Cyanogenmod 10.1 is now successfully installed in your T-Mobile Galaxy S2. Do let us know how the ROM is working for you. I’m sure it won’t disappoint you. And do check get.cm page frequently for latest updates and bug fixes. Enjoy the customization with CM10.1..