Currently official ICS firmware is available for Samsung Galaxy S2 and a good news for S2 users is Samsung has announced official Jelly Bean 4.1 update for many devices including this device. Samsung has started rolling out JB 4.1 update for high end devices like Galaxy S3 etc. but still it is not available for Galaxy S2. And it will take some more time as Samsung is testing this firmware before releasing it for Galaxy S2.
Meanwhile Google has released an upgraded version of Jelly Bean having Android version 4.2. In this Google has tried to included many missing features from previous version that is Jelly Bean 4.1 and a lot of improvements are also there. It includes many features like daydream, actionable notifications, photosphere camera, smart keyboard with gesture typing, magical widgets and a new look for Google Search. A lot of wait is there for S2 users to get Android 4.2 officially.
But don’t worry, you always have option of custom ROMs and now you can enjoy Android 4.2 via Cyanogenmod. Cyanogenmod 10.1 based on Android 4.2 is now available for Samsung Galaxy S2, thanks to XDA Elite Recognized Developer codeworkx. In Cyanogenmod with experience of pure Android you also get a lot of features like customizations etc.
Read further to learn how to update Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.2 via Cyanogenmod 10.1.
Disclaimer : The methods & procedures described here are risky. If you are not aware of the things discussed below, don’t go for it. In case if any damage happened to your device while following this procedure, neither we nor developer of this ROM should be held responsible for it.
This guide is applicable only forSamsungGalaxy S2 having model number I9100G. Trying it on other variants of Galaxy S2 or on any other device, can cause damage to your phone.
- Charge your phone up to 70% battery level so that the installation will proceed without any interruption.
- Dont forget to backup your all important data from the phone memory such as contacts, SMS/MMS, call log etc. since all these things will get erase during the installation.
- Enable USB Debugging in your phone.
- Before proceeding, ensure that you running stock ICS firmware or any AOSP custom ROM based on Android 4.0 (ICS).
(Important)For flashing this ROM, your phone must have custom recovery likeClockworkmodorTWRPinstalled on it.
Procedure to Upgrade Galaxy S2 I9100G with Cyanogenmod 10.1 (based on Android 4.2):
- Get latest version of Cyanogenmod 10.1 from theOfficial development page.
Here is the link to Official development page.
- Since Google Apps are not pre-installed in this ROM you have to separately download them and flash them.
Here is the download link to Google Apps for CM 10.1.
- Once you download this ROM package connect your phone to PC and transfer it to external SD card and do not extract it.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into the recovery mode. To do so, turn off the phone completely (until it vibrates). Press & holdVolume Up + Home button + Power Keytogether until recovery mode appears (you can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until you are in recovery mode).
- Once you are in recovery mode, first thing you need to do is take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case if anything goes wrong. To backup your current ROM, selectBackup and Restoreoption from the recovery menu & on next screen, selectbackup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excludingSD card). Wait until thebackup processto get finished.
- Selectwipe data/factory reset&wipe cache partitionto wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Now Select install zip from sdcard & then choose zip from sdcard. Select the ROM file from the location where youve copied it earlier & selecting on Yes, confirm the installation.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode.
- Follow the same procedure to flash Google Apps.
- Now you are ready, Selectreboot system nowto restart the phone and boot into CyanogenMod 10.1.
Note:If you want to go back to your previous ROM, you can do so by entering into the recovery mode. In recovery, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now select the backup you want to restore.
Congratulations!!! Your Galaxy S2 i9100G is now running Cyanogenmod 10.1. Visit source page for latest information & updates and if you have any query let us know through comments. We are happy to help you.