With variety of improvements Google has released latest version of Android operating system that is Android 4.2 and it has amazing features like smoother interface, photo sphere camera to capture 360 degree photos and a smarter keyboard with gesture typing. Currently it is available for Google’s Nexus devices only. Yet Samsung has not released official firmware for Note 2 till now. But developers are always there to bring latest stuff to you. Now a very famous custom ROM i.e. Cyanogenmod 10.1 based on latest Android 4.2 is out for Note 2. All Note 2 users can enjoy latest features of Android 4.2 plus being a custom ROM it has it’s own advantages. Thanks to XDA developer nebkat for releasing it.
Here is a simple guide given on How to install Cyanogenmod 10.1 on your Note 2.
Disclaimer: The procedure discussed further in this article is considered as risky and can cause damage to your phone. You should not go for it if you are unaware of things discussed in it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this guide, neither we nor developer should be held responsible for it.
This guide is applicable only forSamsungGalaxy Note 2having model numberN7100. Trying it on other variants of Note 2 or on any other device, can cause damage to your phone.
- Charge your phone up to 70% battery level so that the installation will proceed without any interruption.
- Dont forget to backup your all important data from the phone memory such as contacts, SMS/MMS, call log etc. since all these things will get erase during the installation.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
(Important)For flashing this ROM, your phone must have custom recovery likeClockworkmodorTWRPinstalled on it. If you dont have one, follow the guides given below to install it on your phone.
- ClockworkMod Recovery.
- TWRP Recovery.
Procedure to Upgrade Galaxy Note 2 N7100 with CyanogenMod 10.1 based on Android 4.2:
- Get latest version of CyanogenMod 10.1 from theOfficial development page.
Here is the link of official page.
- Since Google Apps are not pre-installed in this ROM you have to separately download them and flash them.
- Google Apps
- Once you download this ROM package connect your phone to PC and transfer it to external SD card and do not extract it.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into the recovery mode. To do so, turn off the phone completely (until it vibrates). Press & holdVolume Up + Home button + Power Keytogether until recovery mode appears (you can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until you are in recovery mode).
- Once you are in recovery mode, first thing you need to do is take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case if anything goes wrong. To backup your current ROM, selectBackup and Restoreoption from the recovery menu & on next screen, selectbackup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excludingSD card). Wait until thebackup processto get finished.
- Selectwipe data/factory reset&wipe cache partitionto wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Now Select install zip from sdcard & then choose zip from sdcard. Select the ROM file from the location where youve copied it earlier & selecting on Yes, confirm the installation.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode.
- Follow the same procedure to flash Goggle Apps.
- Now you are ready, Selectreboot system nowto restart the phone and boot into CyanogenMod 10.1.
Note:If you want to go back to your previous ROM, you can do so by entering into the recovery mode. In recovery, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now select the backup you want to restore.
Congradulations!!! Your Galaxy Note 2 is now running CyanogenMod 10.1. Visit source page for latest information and updates and do let us know how the ROM is working for you through comments.