Concept of Smartwatches is getting very popular these days. Before Samsung released their most anticipated Smartwatch Galaxy Gear, there were Smartwatches available from Sony, Motorola etc. But concept of Smartwatch is more established in public by Galaxy Gear.
Galaxy Gear is Samsung’s one of the best products and they have again proved themselves as king of electronics market. Samsung Galaxy Gear is the best Smartwatch available in the market. And being their exclusive product it can be paired with only Samsung smartphones that too higher end ones. Whereas other watches from Sony or Motorola which can be used with any smartphone.
But one good thing is that it is based on Android so developers are there to develop MODs ROMs etc. And now developers from XDA have come up with this ROM for Galaxy Gear. After installing this ROM, you can connect Galaxy Gear to any other smartphone just like other smartwatches. All you need to do is install this ROM on your Gear.
This article will guide you through this procedure of installing this ROM on your Galaxy Gear. But before going further, make sure that your Gear is rooted and has custom recovery installed. If not ther refer our previous article on Rooting and installing TWRP Recovery on Galaxy Gear.
Once you have done that, you are all set to go.
The steps mentioned in given tutorial are considered as risky and may cause damage to your device. It is recommended that you should not follow these steps if you are not aware of all these things. Read the article at your own risk. We at androidlegend.com are not responsible for any damage caused to your mobile after attempting these steps.
This is a reminder that implement this procedure only on Samsung Galaxy Gear and don’t even think to try it on any other device or Smartwatch.
Here are some basic requirements that you need to ensure before you begin with actual procedure:
- Please charge your gear at least up to 70% so that you will have uninterrupted smooth procedure of installation.
- Before going for the procedure, please confirm that your device has latest V700XXUAMK7 firmware installed on it.
- Your PC or Laptop must have device specific drivers installed on it. So make sure you have installed them. If not, follow this link to download and install them.
- While installing this ROM, you will lose all your data stored in the Gear, so make sure you do a backup of it on your computer.
- Also it is recommended that you temporarily disable security software on your Computer. You can enable them back once the procedure is over.
- First you need to have Samsung’s Official ADB drivers installed. Get them from here.
- First you have to download the zip file of the ROM. Go to official development page and download the ROM. The link is given below.
- Click here to download it.
- You will also require Fastboot files. Click the link below to download them.
- Click here to download.
- Now boot your watch into recovery mode. To do so hold the Power button for about 5 seconds so the device restarts. Once you see rebooting screen, tap the Power button 3-5 times. Then you will see REBOOT MODE selection screen. Scroll by pressing power button once. When recovery mode is highlighted again long press Power button to enter it.
- Once in recovery mode, connect your watch to computer with the help of USB cable.
- Extract above zip package of fastboot files. You will find four files inside your extracted folder. Here are the files which you will see when extracted.
- Now Open command prompt & Point its directory to the fastboot folder (OR You can do the same as: open Fastboot folder, Press & hold shift key and then right click on the free space in the same folder.When right clicked (holding shift), you’ll see ‘Open Command window here‘ option. Click it & Command prompt will get opened pointing to the Fastboot directory).
- Put this command in command prompt :”adb devices” (After entering this command, you’ll see the random numbers appeared in the command prompt.This is to ensure that your device is properly connected. If random numbers don’t come,then make sure you have installed the drivers correctly.
- Now in the command prompt put this command to push the zip file of the ROM to the SD card of watch. In place of “ROM Name”, put the name of the .zip file which you have downloaded.
<pre>adb push ROM Name.zip /sdcard/</pre>
- Now coming back to your watch, in recovery select options install zip from sdcard and then select choose zip from memory card. Navigate to zip file of custom ROM which you have put in SD card. Select it and press yes in next step.
- This will take few minutes for installation of ROM.
- Once installation process ends, go back to recovery for wiping data and caches from phone memory select wipe data/factory reset followed by wipe cache partition.
- After successfully finishing these files select go back and then reboot system now.
Success! You have successfully installed a custom ROM on your Galaxy Gear. So now you can pair it with any smartphone you have other than high end Galaxy devices. After booting into ROM. Go to Settings, turn the Bluetooth on and find your phone and pair the watch with your phone. Make sure that your phone has Bluetooth tethering on so that you can access internet on your Galaxy Gear.
And if you have any difficulty regarding the procedure, you can ask them in comments.