Now it’s been 3 months for the Android 4.1 release and still no official Jelly Bean firmware rolled out for AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-i747. But still, you can tryout Android 4.1 Jelly Bean before it releases officially. All thanks to custom ROM makers & development community for bringing out Jelly Bean based ROMs for AT&T Galaxy S3. Today XDA senior member antiochasylum has arrived with CM10 Asylum ROM, which is again a jelly bean based custom ROM.
CM10 Asylum is built from 10 different sources. The main thing is that the ROM size is only 114 MB & as per the developer it will get reduce in future updates. Apex Launcher is a default launcher in this ROM.
So that’s all about CM10 Asylum ROM, move further to learn how to install this ROM on your AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-i747.
Disclaimer : The steps given in this article are considered to be risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you are unaware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this guide, neither we nor developer should be held guilty for the same.
This guide is only applicable for AT&T Galaxy S3 bearing model number SGH-i747. Trying it on other variants of Galaxy S3 or on any other device, can cause damage to your phone.
Pre-Requisites before installing a Custom ROM:
- Make sure that your phone is charged at least up to 70% so that installation procedure wont be interrupted.
- It is better to backup your all important data from the phone memory such as contacts, SMS/MMS, call log etc. since all these things will get erase during the installation.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
(Important) For flashing this ROM, your phone must have custom recovery like Clockworkmod or TWRP installed on it.
Procedure to Upgrade AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-i747 with CM10 Asylum Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Custom ROM:
- Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) are not pre-installed in this ROM. You have to download & flash it manually. Download GApps from the link given below.
Google Apps (for Jelly Bean based custom ROMs)
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access SD card data. Transfer both the files on it.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into the recovery mode. For doing the same, switch off the phone completely (until it vibrates). Press & hold Volume Up + Home button + Power Key together until recovery mode appears (you can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until recovery mode shows up).
- After getting into the recovery mode, first & very essential step you need to do is take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case if anything goes wrong. To backup your current ROM, select Backup and Restore option from the recovery menu & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card). Wait for the backup process to get finished.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Now Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Select the ROM file from the location where you’ve transferred it earlier & press on Yes to confirm the installation.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode.
- Again select “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard” & this time navigate to gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file. Press on Yes to install Google Apps.
- After flashing both the files, Select reboot system now to Restart the phone.
Note: If you want to restore your previous ROM, you can do this by entering into the recovery mode. In recovery, select Backup and Restore option & on next screen, select restore. Now choose the backup you would like to restore.
Congratulations ! You’ve successfully installed Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean based CM10 Asylum custom ROM on your AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-i747. Do let us know how the ROM is working for you. If you have got any question, comment it below, we will try our best to sort out it.