Being Samsung’s new flagship device, Galaxy S4 has received a lot of developing support from developers all over the world. Developers are always excited to face new challenges that come with new devices. As mentioned in our recent rooting guide for Galaxy S4, it was really difficult to achieve root access on the same but still one of the developer from XDA community has made it possible. From this, we can conclude that Samsung is very serious towards such modification of their devices . But don’t worry. Like every lock has a key, every problem has a solution.
XDA Recognized developer Phil3759 has taken a step ahead of root. He has compiled the famous Clockworkmod recovery with his own customizations. Clockworkmod recovery lets you flash custom OS, kernels, scripts etc. It can be used to backup & restore the current ROM installed on your device. These are some basic operations that CWM performs generally. But with PhilZ CWM recovery, you can do a lot more than this. Lets check out the features of PhilZ Recovery:
- Custom Backup & Restore Menu.
- Open Recovery Script Support (ORS).
- In-built file manager – Aroma (which is not present in normal CWM).
- Touch Interface.
- Free Browse Mode.
- Multi-Zip Installer.
- Theme & Color Change support.
- Faster backup & restore than any other recovery.
So, move ahead & flash PhilZ CWM Touch recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500.
Disclaimer: Steps mentioned in this article are considered as risky & can damage your phone (although risk level is low). But you should not try to attempt these things unless you are completely aware of it. Please follow this guide at your own risk. If your device gets damage while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
The given article is strictly intended for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 (International variant). Using this root guide on any other model or variant (of S4 even I9505) might give you undesired results.
- Charge your Galaxy S4 at least up to 75% battery level.
- It’s better to backup all your data from internal storage memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Please not that, rooting process won’t erase any data from internal storage or sdcard. It’s just for the safe side.
- Samsung device drivers must be installed on your computer in order to make the phone recognized by it (PC). You can install the same by installing Samsung Kies. To download it manually, click here. OR Download appropriate (according to Windows, you’re running) device drivers directly from below mentioned links:
- Windows 32 bit x86 drivers
- Windows 64 bit x64 drivers
(Important) Your device must be rooted in order to flash Custom recovery on it. If you haven’t rooted your phone yet, follow this guide.
Procedure to Install Clockworkmod Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500:
Odin Multi Downloader v3.07.
Clockworkmod Recovery for Galaxy S4.
- After downloading the 2 files given in Downloads section, switch off the phone completely. Enter into download mode. To do so, hold Volume down + Home button together. While holding both buttons, simply press Power key till you see the construction Android robot & a yellow triangle appeared on your phone screen.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader tool on your Computer & connect the phone using USB cable.
- If your phone is connected successfully, youll see that the ID:COM section (located at top left) is turned blue with a random COM port number appeared below it (If your ID:COM box doesnt turn into blue, don’t worry. Just install Samsung drivers by using the link mentioned in Pre-requisites).
- In Odin, select PDA tab & choose “philz_touch_5.03.2-i9500.tar.md5″ file. Keep all the remaining options as they are & make sure that Re-Partition box is not ticked.
- Ultimately, hit the Start button to initiate the flashing process of CWM recovery on your Galaxy S4 I9500. Wait till Odin finishes its task.
- When flashing process gets done, Odin will display the ‘Pass’ message above ID:COM (with the Green colored background) & device will restart automatically (normally, phone should auto-reboot in recovery mode. If it reboots into main system and your recovery remains stock, repeat above steps and un-tick “Auto-Reboot” option in Odin).
Note: Don’t unplug the device till you get the ‘Pass’ message.
(Conditional) However if your phone gets stuck or you get a fail message then close the Odin window, disconnect phone from computer, remove battery and re-insert it and follow the above procedure again.
- Finally unplug the device from Computer.
(Conditional) When in recovery, if you choose option “reboot system now” and you get “Yes – disable flash recovery”, select that option to avoid stock recovery overwriting CWM.
- To access custom recovery again, follow the steps given below:
- Switch off the phone completely.
- Press & hold Volume up + Home button together. While holding both buttons, press Power key till the recovery mode appears.
That’s it! You’ve successfully installed Custom recovery on your brand new Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500. Do let us know how Philz touch CWM is working for you. And finally, enjoy flashing custom ROMs.
Tip: To remove yellow triangle at startup, use Triangle away app made by XDA Developer Chainfire.
For further updates, like our Facebook page & Follow us on Google+.