Recently, Android 4.1.2 update is rolled out by Google & no doubt Nexus phones are first to get it. But when it comes to full customization of the OS, stock ROMs aren’t sufficient for the task. That’s why custom ROMs are there to satisfy your needs.
AOKP is a custom ROM based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. It is a famous ROM out there which is known for its highly customization features. AOKP includes its own “ROM Control” settings, with which you can modify/alter each & every function of your phone. Now the ROM is updated to Build 5 & made available for Sprint Galaxy Nexus.
Read on further to know how you can install AOKP JB ROM on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus SPH-L700.
Disclaimer: Steps given in this article are considered as risky & can cause damage to your phone. You should not try to attempt these things if you aren’t aware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device we won’t be held liable for it.
Please note that, this update is applicable only for Sprint Galaxy Nexus having model number SPH-L700. DON’T try this on other variants of Galaxy Nexus or on any other device, it can cause damage to your phone.
- Enable USB Debugging option in your phone.
- Charge your device up to 70% battery level so that installation procedure won’t be interrupted.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from phone memory which includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.
(Important) Your device must have unlocked bootloader & custom recovery installed in it. For installing Custom Recovery, follow the guide given here.
Procedure to Update Sprint Galaxy Nexus SPH-L700 with AOKP Jelly Bean Custom ROM :
- Download AOKP ROM from the link given below :
- AOKP JB Build 5 Custom ROM for Sprint Galaxy Nexus
- (Optional) Download Google Add-on Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which is needed to be flash manually, as they are not included in the ROM by default.
Google Apps (Jelly Bean).
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your device to Computer. Enable mass storage mode on your phone. Now copy both the files to your device’s internal SD card (Don’t extract any of the file).
- Disconnect the phone from computer.
- Now you need to boot in Recovery mode, To execute recovery mode, switch off the phone completely (until it vibrates), Press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Key together until recovery appears (you can release power button after Samsung logo but keep holding other two).
- It is highly recommended to take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back (in case if anything goes wrong). To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card). Wait for the backup process to get finished.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches respectively from the phone memory.
- Now Select “install zip from sdcard” and then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate to the ROM file (aokp_toroplus_jb_build-5.zip). Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After flashing both the files, Select reboot system now to Restart the phone.
Note: Just in case if you want to revert back to your previous ROM (which you have backup earlier), enter into recovery mode (mentioned above), from the main menu, select Backupand Restore option & on next screen, select restore & choose your latest backup to restore.
That’s it !! You’ve successfully updated your Sprint Galaxy Nexus SPH-L700 to AOKP JB custom ROM. If you need any assistance, feel free to comment below.