One month ago, Google pushed out another Jelly Bean update which was named as Android 4.2.1. Of course, Nexus devices are 1st priority of Google And hence they had rolled out this update for all Nexus devices.
Nexus 7 tab was one of them to receive Android 4.2.1 update & many Nexus 7 users across the globe has already installed it in their tab. Since Google updates their Nexus devices frequently, it becomes so boring for Nexus users to use that update even for the little time span of a month.
Well, if you’re that type of person then there is good news for you. And the good news is that Android 4.2.1 based custom ROM called AOKP (build 2) is now available for Nexus 7 tab. Last time when we discussed about initial release of AOKP, we also talked about its features. So I think there is no need to discuss it again. Now in build 2, they’ve fixed some bugs that were reported by some users and made the ROM almost stable.
In remaining portion of this article, we’ll guide you through procedure needed to update your Google Nexus 7 tab with AOKP build 2 Custom ROM.
Disclaimer: Steps given in this article are considered as risky and may cause damage to your tab. It is highly recommended that you should not follow it unless you are aware with these things. Follow this article completely at your own risk. We or the AOKP team wont be held responsible for any damage caused to your device while attempting these steps.
This guide is applicable only on GSM variant of Google Nexus 7 Tab (aka ASUS Nexus 7). Dont try it on any other phone / tab, it can harm your device in any way.
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level in order not to interrupt the installation procedure.
- Enable USB Debugging option in your tab.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory which includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.
(Important) Your device must have unlocked bootloader & custom recovery installed in it. For installing Clockworkmod Recovery on your tab, follow this guide.
Procedure to Upgrade Google Nexus 7 Tab to AOKP Build 2 Custom ROM (Android 4.2.1):
- Download AOKP build 2 package from the Here.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your tab to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access external SD card data & transfer both the files on the root directory of it.
- Disconnect the tab from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the tab completely. Press & hold Volume Up + Volume down Button + Power Key together until recovery mode appears.
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option in the recovery menu, select it & then choose backup to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the internal memory. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from internal memory, which includes sms/mms, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you the files & folders located on the SD card of your device. Navigate to the ROM file, select it using power button & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing all the files, Selectreboot system nowto Restart the tablet.
Tip: You can restore back your previous ROM using CMW’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now choose the backup you like to restore (or the restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).
Voila ! You’ve successfully installed AOKP build 2 Custom ROM on your Nexus 7 tab. You can customize it as the way you want.
And if you have any query, do report us through comments, we’ll try out our best to sort it out. Enjoy..