Since the release 0f Android 4.4 KitKat, several devices has received this update officially. As stated by Samsung, Grand Duos will receive this update in near future. Although there is another way to upgrade your device to Android 4.4 KitKat and that is custom ROM.
Resurrection Remix custom ROM is already compiled for Samsung Galaxy Grand. This Android 4.4.2 based custom ROM is based on CM, AOKP, Omni, Slim, PA custom ROMs creating combination of performance, power and some latest features. Lets see some of the features of this ROM
Features of Resurrection Remix
- Compiled using Linaro Toolchain
- Active display
- Lockscreen Notifications
- Application side bar
- Notification panel tweaks
- Tiles style
- Music Toggle
- Pitch Black UI Mode
- Camera mods
- ListView Animations
- Custom system animations
- Custom progress bar
- Screen recorder
- Hardware buttons and navbar options
- Status bar traffic monitor
- Battery bar options
- Status bar brightness slider
- Expanded desktop
- Performance controller
- Flip tiles
- Theme chooser
- Lockscreen see blur and reduce slider
- Show Wi-Fi name
- Headset action
- Low battery warning
- Lock clock widget
- Privacy guard
- Power sounds
- Share ROM
- Battery mods
- Lockscreen options and targets
- Center Clock/No clock/Right Clock
- AM/PM,date and colors
- New Wallpaper app
- Nova/Stock launcher included
This official version of Resurrection Remix ROM does have some bugs since it is in development. Some of them are mentioned here.
- Inbuilt screen video recorder doesn’t work.
- Only primary SIM slot works.
If you want to try this ROM on your mobile, follow few simple steps written ahead.
Procedure mentioned below for flashing the custom ROM, is risky and may cause damage to your device. Newbies should take precautions while flashing the custom ROM. Carefully read the article first and execute the steps. If anything goes wrong with your mobile, we or developers are not responsible for it.
This custom ROM is compiled only for Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos i9082 , i9082L and i9080L. Don’t even think of flashing it on any other device else you will end up with bricked device. Check model number as
Settings -> about device -> model number
Note: Flashing any custom ROM violates the warranty. So think before flashing it. Of course flashing official firmware over it restores the warranty.
- Ensure that the mobile is adequately charged (at least up to 70%) so that it won’t get turn off during the installation process causing damage to device.
- All the data on the mobile gets erased during the installation (from internal memory), you must take a backup of important stuff like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card so that you can restore it afterwards.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- A custom recovery like clockworkmod recovery must be installed on your mobile. If you try this with stock recovery, it will damage your phone. You can refer this article to install it on your mobile. Note that older versions of recovery do not support Android 4.4 KitKat. Make sure that you have latest one. (CWM v220.127.116.11 or above)
- Make sure that you are on any Android 4.4 KitKat ROM or Android 4.2.2 based custom to flash this ROM. Refer this page to install CM11 on Grand Duos
- Download latest build of Resurrection ROM for Galaxy Grand Duos from official development page.
- Resurrection ROM for Galaxy Grand Duos.
- Since custom ROM doesn’t include Google apps like Gmail, Play Store etc. ,you have to download and flash it separately after flashing the ROM.
- Gapps for Android 4.4. KitKat.
- After downloading both these files, connect mobile to PC through USB cable and copy both files to the external memory card.
- Disconnect mobile from PC. Switch off the device and boot into recovery mode by pressing volume up + home + power button simultaneously.
- Make a nandroid backup of the system. It will be helpful in future if anything goes wrong in the process. Refer this article to take nandroid backup.
- Select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partitions afterwards. This will clear all the data from internal memory.
- Next select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Select cm11.zip for installation.
- It will take few minutes for installation.
- In order to avoid bootloops, do wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partition again after flashing the ROM.
- Repeat step of install zip from sdcard followed by chose zip from sdcard for Gapps.
- After successfully flashing both the files, select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system now. Remember first boot take more time than usual.
Well done! You have successfully installed Android 4.4 KitKat via Resurrection ROM on Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos. Let us know how it is working for you. If you came across any doubts or difficulties, report us in the comments section. We are always ready to help you.
Tip: In case you want to revert to previous ROM you can easily do it just by entering into Recovery mode. Then select the Backup and Restore option from the recovery mode. Then select restore option & choose your latest backup to restore. Even you can flash official firmware.