Samsung Epic 4G Touch boasts a large and bright 4.5-inch Super AMOLED Plus display. Powered with a dual-core 1.2GHz processor, this Android smartphone is fast, 4G-capable and with an excellent camera quality. Look wise the phone is large and has a plastic build. It offers speedy performance, a beautiful screen, and a great multimedia experience which makes it one of Sprint’s top Android phones. It is a variant of international Galaxy S2 i9100. Such a beautiful phone has no chance of getting the latest official Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. But due to its great specs and features it is possible to run the Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS un-officially on it. So in this article we are going to discuss an Android 4.4.2 KitKat based Vanir ROM especially for Samsung Epic 4G SPH-D710 smartphone.
This way you can experience the latest KitKat flavored features on your device. This ROM ran buttery smooth on the Epic 4G Touch, and I would consider it probably the best and fastest ROM I have ever flashed on this phone. They have come a long way with enhancing the Android experience, and it shows here in this build. Now when it comes to added features, they have packed pretty much all you need from. Some of its features are listed below.
- Based on Vanir 4.4.2 nightlies.
- Quick Setting including numerous customizations in Status Bar.
- Customizable clock display and location.
- Customizable signal bar.
- Status Bar transparency.
- Customizable buttons and colors, height and width in Navigation bar.
- Navigation bar transparency.
- Fully customizable targets/rotation/widgets/ for lockscreens.
- Lockscreen transparency.
- Ad blocking.
- Tablet UI Chooser.
- DPI/LCD changer + force tablet settings mode.
- Theme Chooser: Including inverted theme.
- Galaxy Nexus Parts.
- ADB over network.
- Added Bravia Engine 2.0.
- Custom Carrier text.
- Included Custom backlight.
- Added expanded desktop with different modes.
- Added extended power menu.
- Long press back to kill.
- Noise reduction, advanced settings, speaker proximity.
- Expanded MMS including Quick Emoji.
- Camera: Enhanced settings (credit CM).
- Added functional Sound Recorder.
- Koush’s Superuser added.
- Included Vanir Keyboard – removed tracking/logging and highly optimized.
- Voltage control.
- I/O Scheduler.
- Disable boot animation.
- Enhanced recent menu.
- Added Beats Audio.
- DSP Manager included (Credit CM).
- Volume wake / rocker music controlled.
- Rewritten Speaker proximity designed for Vanir.
- 60 MB of Bloat removed
- Fully featured LatinIME Keyboard
- Faster Axiom scripts
- Compiled with linaro keychain.
- Optimized with linaro 4.3
- With Vanir config set your CPU frequencies, colors, ZRAM, and much more.
This is completely stable and fast ROM. Interested users may proceed to the actual article on flashing Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Samsung Epic 4G SPH-D710 given below.
Disclaimer: The steps given below are much risky and can highly damage your device. If so happened then neither we nor the developers will be held responsible for that. So it is strongly recommended to read and follow all the steps properly and without any mistake.
This Android 4.4.2 KitKat based ROM must be implemented only on Samsung Epic 4G Touch bearing model number SPH-D710. Don’t try this on Galaxy S2 or any other device, it may cause permanent damage. It’s always better to check your device before performing anything.
- Before proceeding further check that your device has a proper battery backup. This is necessary as there are chances of switching off your device when the process is going on. Hence it is strongly recommended to charge the battery of your mobile at least up to 60%. For improving your battery life, you may follow our guide:
- How to Improve Battery Life of an Android Device (Tips).
- Make a complete backup of your entire important data including your contacts, messages, call logs, memos, apn settings etc. Either use any app from Play Store or just copy them on your computer. All this is much essential as we need to clear all the phone memory after flashing the ROM. You may refer our articles for the same.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to backup Notes and Memos for an Android device.
- Make sure that you’ve rooted your Epic 4G. Also a latest custom recovery tool like Clockworkmod or TWRP must be installed before flashing the ROM. If you haven’t installed it yet, then do that immediately as it’s much important for flashing the KitKat ROM.
- Download Android 4.4.2 ROM for Samsung Epic 4G from the link given below:
- Click here to download.
- Download latest Google Apps (Android 4.4.2) for Samsung Epic 4G from the link given below:
- Click here to download.
- After downloading both the files, connect your phone to computer using USB cable, enable USB debugging mode and transfer both these zip package files (without extracting) on your external SD card. Do not place it in deep directories.
- Disconnect the phone from PC and switch it off completely. Now you need to enter into the recovery mode which can be entered by holding Volume up + Home Button (middle button) + Power Button simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
- In the recovery mode, navigate to the backup & restore option & then on the next screen choose backup option to start the backup process. This will make a complete nandroid backup of your current ROM. This nandroid backup is strongly recommended in case if you don’t like this ROM or you face some issue with the same. You may refer our article for taking a proper nandroid backup:
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- Just clear the data & caches respectively from the phone memory by selecting wipe data/factory reset option & wipe cache partition option. You must remember that this step will erase all the data from your phone, therefore make sure that you have backed up everything before attempting this step. Refer pre-requisites section of this article for doing the same.
- Let’s move to the actual Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM flashing process now. For that highlight install zip from sdcard option & then on next screen select choose zip from sdcard option. This will show you all the files located on external storage of your device. Just navigate to the KitKat ROM package file that you’ve copied earlier, select it & confirm the installation process by pressing on ‘Yes’. This will start the flashing process immediately.
- It will hardly take few minutes to complete. After successful installation, again select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition option to clear phone memory. Note that this step is much essential in order to avoid boot loops.
- Now it’s time to flash Google Apps. For that, follow the same above procedure as you’ve flashed the ROM package file. But remember not to wipe data after flashing these GApps.
- After you finish flashing both the files; select ‘reboot system now’ to restart your phone. Note that the first boot will take more time to start than usual.
Finally! The latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM has been successfully installed on your Samsung Epic 4G SPH-D710. Enjoy the bug free and smooth performance of your device with this ROM. If you face any kind of difficulty, trouble or have any issue with this stuff then just drop your problem through comments given below. We’ll provide you with an exact solution as soon as possible.
Note: If you don’t like this ROM and want to restore back your previous Rom you can do that by simply going back to the recovery mode and select ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next screen select ‘Restore’ to restore the ROM you want.