Google recently released the latest version of Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS for some devices. Samsung Galaxy S3 didn’t get the official update of Android 4.4.2 yet. However, Galaxy S4 users now can install Android 4.4.2 on their smartphone with the help of Carbon ROM.
Carbon ROM is a custom ROM based on Android Open Source Project. This ROM is fast, stable and filled with features.
- Nice and neat interface
- Customize the colours of Navigation Bar
- Customize the battery and signal icons
- More options and toggles in Power Menu
- Quicklaunch feature
- Night Mode
Disclaimer: Installing a custom ROM is a critical procedure and should be followed properly. It is requested that you should read the whole article before implementing any changes. If you are not aware of this procedure then take help from a person having a good knowledge about installing the custom ROMs. Neither we nor the developer will be responsible for any kind of damage to your phone. This ROM is for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 only. Don’t try to install it on other devices.
- Keep your phone charged, at least up-to 70% so that the installation will proceed without any interruption.
- Installing a custom ROM may reset all the data from your phone. So it is recommended that you should take a backup of Contacts, SMS, MMS, APN list, etc.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to backup Notes and Memos for an Android device.
- Ensure that you have installed a custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP on your phone.
Download these files and move them to your phone. Don’t extract them.
- Ensure that your phone is rooted and you have installed a custom recovery.
- Now reboot your device to Recovery Mode. Switch off the device and then press and hold Home + Power + Volume Up buttons simultaneously to enter Recovery Mode.
- It is recommended that you should take a NANDROID backup which might be useful further if anything goes wrong.
- Now, click on wipe data or factory reset. Also wipe dalvik cache.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and select the file corresponding to Carbon ROM you have downloaded in the Downloads section. This will install the ROM to the device. This might take several minutes.
- Again click on ‘install zip from sdcard‘ and select the file corresponding to Google Apps.
- Now reboot the device normally. First booting will take some time. If your get stucked in boot-loops, try to format the data again.
- After restart, if you came across some force close errors, then wipe data again or if available, use ‘fix permissions‘ option (in recovery mode).
- Now you have done with the installation. You are ready to use Android 4.4.2 on your Galaxy S4.
Tip: If you don’t like the ROM or you are not comfortable with it, then you ca go easily back to your previous ROM. For this, enter to the Recovery Mode and select backup and restore option followed by clicking the restore button and choose the latest backup you are having.
Please give reviews about the ROM and feel free to ask any queries.
For more information, refer this thread on XDA.