Android 4.4 KitKat has been running on several devices either officially or unofficially. Many flagship devices have started receiving this update. While developers have compiled many custom ROMs for various devices. One of them is Galaxy Mini 2.
The next generation of Galaxy Mini currently runs on Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Although Google has stated that low end devices can run Android 4.4 KitKat flawlessly, Samsung is unlikely to upgrade any of their older devices to latest Android version. Thanks to developer- Thewhisp who compiled KitKat for Mini 2 through Cyanogenmod 11 custom ROM.
As the development is in alpha state, you may face some bugs. Some of them are mentioned ahead.
- Native screen recording
Good thing is that ROM supports various models of Mini 2. If you can work out with few bugs for the time being, you can flash it on your mobile. Read and execute few simple steps to install Android 4.4 KitKat on Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 through Cyanogenmod 11.
The following article is considered as risky and may cause damage to your mobile. If you are not aware of all these things, it is recommended that you should not follow this article. Read article carefully before executing any step. Neither we nor developers are responsible for any damage caused to your mobile after implementing these steps.
The given article is strictly meant for Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 bearing model number S6500 and S6500D. Applying these steps to any other model or variant, might turn out into unwanted outcomes. Even permanent damage may cause to your mobile.
- Ensure that your mobile is charged at least up to 70% so that installation process will not be interrupted due to low battery power.
- It is highly recommended that you should take a backup of all your important data such as SMS, MMS, contacts, APN etc.to the external memory card since it gets wiped during installation. You can take the help of these articles.
- How to backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to backup Call logs & APNs from your Android Device.
- Most important thing is you must have installed Clockworkmod recovery on your mobile. Follow this article to install it on your mobile. Note that older versions of CWM do not support Android 4.4 custom ROMs. (v18.104.22.168 or above)
- First download Cyanogenmod 11 for Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 from official development page.
- Cyanogenmod 11 for Galaxy Mini 2
- Also download GApps package for Android 4.4 KitKat since custom ROMs don’t include Google apps like Gmail, Play Store etc.
- Gapps for Android 4.4 KitKat
- Connect your mobile to the computer via USB cable. Copy both the files to the external memory card. Don’t extract it.
- Now disconnect it from PC.
- Next you have to boot your mobile into recovery mode. To do so, first switch off your mobile then press and hold volume up + power button + home button simultaneously until you land into CWM recovery. (You can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until recovery mode shows up).
- First you should take a backup of current system. Refer this article to take a nandroid backup.
- Now select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition for wiping data & cache respectively from the phone memory.
- Next, select install zip from sdcard followed by chose zip from sdcard. Navigate to Cyanogenmod file using volume keys. Confirm it by selecting yes in next step.
- The installation process will take few minutes. At the end of installation, you will again land into recovery mode.
- Perform wipe data/factory reset again to avoid boot loops.
- Repeat the step of install zip from sdcard followed by chose zip from sdcard. But this time chose GApps file for installation.
- After successful installation of both files, select +++++Go back+++++ option, then reboot system now. Note that first boot takes more time than usual.
That’s it! Your Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 is now running on Android 4.4 KitKat through Cyanogenmod 11. Do let us know how it is working for you. If you come across any doubt, post it in the comment section.