Everyone is eagerly waiting for Android 4.4 Kit Kat which is likely to release on 1st of November along with Nexus 5. We have already written an article about some features of Android 4.4. Though Android 4.4 is not a revolutionary update, it does have some astonishing features. Of course it will take a lot of time for flagship devices to receive this update as most of them are still receiving Android 4.3.
And one of them is Galaxy S Advance. As Samsung stated earlier that they will not upgrade it beyond Android 4.2.2, still it is waiting for that update. But the developers are already one step ahead of them. After Cyanogenmod 10.1, Team Canjica is working on Android 4.3 i.e. Cyanogenmod 10.2. And the result of their persistent work is that first build is already compiled. You may face some issues with this initial build which are mentioned ahead.
- WiFi Direct.
- Magnetic Sensor -> Compass not working properly
- NFC ( GT-I9070P users Only ).
Well if you can work out with these issues, you should proceed further to install Cyanogenmod 10.2 on Samsung Galaxy S Advance.
The steps mentioned in the further article are considered as a bit risky and may cause damage to your mobile. It is requested for newbies that they should not follow these steps if they are not aware of all these things. Read the article completely before implementing steps. We AndroidLegend.com are not responsible for any damage cause to your mobile after implementing these steps.
This unofficial build of Cyanogenmod is compiled only for Samsung Galaxy S Advance with model number I9070 or I9070P. Don’t try it on any other mobile or variant. Flashing it on any other mobile may cause permanent damage to it. Check your model number as follows.
Settings -> about device -> model number
- It is suggested that you should charge your phone at least up to 70% to avoid any interruption during installation.
- It is recommended to take a backup of all your personal important data on mobile like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc.to the external memory since the internal data gets formatted during the procedure. Here are some articles which may be helpful in taking backup.
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- Most important! In order to flash any custom ROM, you must have installed custom recovery like CWM or TWRP recovery on your mobile. Click here to flash TWRP recovery on mobile. Don’t try this ROM with stock recovery.
- Enable USB debugging option on.
Settings -> developers option -> USB debugging on
- First of all download two important files for Samsung galaxy S Advance. First one is latest build of Cyanogenmod 10.2 from official development page. The next one is Gapps for Android 4.3 Jelly Bean which contains Google apps like Gmail, Play store, Google now etc. which are not present in custom ROM.
- Cyanogenmod 10.2 for Galaxy S Advance.
- Gapps for Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
- After downloading both the files, connect mobile to computer and enable mass storage mode on. Copy both files the external memory card. Don’t extract them.
- Disconnect mobile from PC and switch it off. Boot into recovery mode. For that press & hold volume up + power button + home button simultaneously until recovery mode opens. (You can release power button after Samsung logo appears on screen but keep pressing other buttons.)
- First take a nandroid backup of a current ROM so that it can be restored back. You can refer this article for assistance.
- How to Backup whole ROM/Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition to wipe all the data and cache partitions. Caution this will format all the data from internal memory.
- Now you are ready for flashing custom ROM. Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Go through the list of files and select Cyanogenmod 10.2.zip file for installation. Confirm it by selecting yes in next step.
- It will take few minutes for execution. After that you will see recovery menu again.
- In order to avoid bootloops, wipe data and cache partitions again.
- Repeat the above procedure of install zip from sdcard and choose zip from sdcard for Gapps.
- After successful flashing of both files, select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system now.
Well done! Your Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 is now running on Android 4.3 via Cyanogenmod 10.2 custom ROM. Don’t forget to share your review about this ROM. You can ask any doubts regarding the article. We try our level best to solve them.
In case you want to revert to previous ROM you can easily do it just by entering into Recovery mode. Then select the Backup and Restore option from the recovery mode & then select restore & choose your latest backup to restore.