LG Optimus 2X is the first mobile in the world with dual core processor. Officially it has been updated to 4.0 ICS from 2.2 Froyo. Unfortunately it never updated to it Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. And with the release of Android 4.4 Kitkat, it is very unlikely that LG will announce any update for it.
Still there are some other ways to get this update that is flashing the custom ROM. Cyanogenmod 10.2 (CM10.2) custom ROM which is based on Android 4.3 is recently compiled for LG Optimus 2X. Though Android 4.3 is a minor improvement over 4.2, you will come across few new features like improved camera app, graphics, better location detection, improved keyboard, Bluetooth smart support etc. For perfect AOSP experience, Cyanogenmod is best of all.
You will also get typical Cyanogenmod tweaks. However this ROM is in alpha state, so it might happen that you may come across few bugs. All the bugs from CM10.1 are still there in this update. But since these bugs are negligible, you can go for it.
Follow few simple steps written ahead to install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean via Cyanogenmod 10.2 (CM10.2) custom ROM on LG Optimus 2X P990.
The procedure mentioned in the following article is considered as risky and may cause permanent damage to your device. It is better that you don’t go for it if you are unaware of all these facts. Read article completely before implementing them. We or developers are not responsible for any hard bricked devices.
This version of Cyanogenmod is compatible only for LG Optimus 2X with model number P990. Flashing it on any other variant or mobile might give you some undesired results. Check model number as
settings -> about phone -> model number
Warning: Flashing custom ROM on your device voids the warranty. So be careful before going for it.
- Charge your mobile at least up to 75% before executing the steps so that procedure won’t get interrupted.
- While flashing the ROM all the data on internal phone memory gets wiped so it is better to take a backup of important stuff like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card. You can refer following articles for it.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to Backup whole ROM / Firmware via Clockworkmod (CWM) Recovery.
- Enable USB debugging option in your device (Optional).
- Most importantly you should install custom recovery like clockworkmod recovery or TWRP on your device. Without any custom recovery you cannot flash custom ROM (Install latest version of recovery).
- First of all download ROM file of Cyanogenmod 10.2 for LG Optimus 2X from official development page. (Download the latest version.) As Cyanogenmod does not include GApps, you need to flash it separately.
- Cyanogenmod 10.2 for LG Optimus 2X (Download latest build)
- GApps for Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
- After downloading both files connect mobile to PC and copy both files to the external memory card at convenient location. Don’t extract these zip files.
- Now disconnect mobile from PC and boot into recovery mode. To do so press and hold volume down + power button simultaneously until you boot into recovery.
- Take a nandroid backup of current system which is a backup of complete system. This might be required in future if anything goes wrong. Go through pre-requisites to take nandroid backup.
- Next select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partitions to clear all the data and cache partitions from the phone.
- After wiping the data select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Navigate to cm-10.2-2013xxxx-UNOFFICIAL-p990.zip file and select it. And confirm it in next step.
- It will take few minutes for installation.
- Again select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partitions in order to avoid boot loops.
- Repeat step of install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. Navigate to gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip file and flash it.
- After successful flashing of both files, select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system now. Remember first boot takes more time than usual.
Well done! Cyanogenmod 10.2 based on Android 4.3 Jelly bean is now successfully running on LG Optimus 2X.Share your views about this custom ROM. If you came across any difficulties do not hesitate to ask. We will try our level best to solve them.
Tip: If you want to uninstall this ROM and return back to the previous one, you can easily do it just by booting into the recovery mode. Select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.