Now Samsung is on the verge of launching their 4th generation Android smartphone from Galaxy S series that is Galaxy S4. It all started back in March 2010 when they presented Galaxy S. This device turned out to be a stepping stone for Samsung. Samsung sold 10 million phone worldwide within a year. It’s graphics processor was fastest at that time and it was slimmest Android smartphone available.
The mobile was launched with Android version 2.1 (Eclair), further it got official updates up to Gingerbread from Samsung. No further updates were given to Galaxy S in spite of having very convincing features as Samsung focused their attention on other devices. But device has got great Android development. Further updates are available to this device via custom ROMs. Many famous custom ROMs based on latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean are also out there.
Here is SlimBean custom ROM based on Android 4.2 available for Galaxy S. This light weight ROM is stuffed with various features.
Here are some latest features:
- AOSP upstream
- Change NavBar height and width on the fly
- Power widgets brightness slider
- Manage multiple QS tiles instances order
- Add Chronus widget (thanks CM)
- Add Ram Bar to recents panel
- Lockscreen widgets auto maximize
- Lockscreen hide usability hints
- Improve sound tile in Quick Settings
- Change reboot button tile behavior in power widget and quick settings
- Lock screen portrait carousel animation
- Sound to vibration conversion toggle
- Plus a ton of smaller fixes, cleanups and optimizations
Addition to that you also get latest features of Jelly Bean 4.2. But keep in mind that being in development state ROM can have minor bugs. You have to wait a while to get them fix as latest builds are released. Further in this article a step by step procedure is given on how to install SlimBean ROM on Galaxy S.
Disclaimer:The procedure given below in this article can cause unwanted damage to your phone. If you are not aware of things mentioned below then don’t follow the steps. We recommend that read the article thoroughly first before executing the steps on your phone. Neither we nor developer should be held responsible for any damage caused.
This SlimBean custom ROM is strictly built forSamsung Galaxy S bearing model number I9000. Dont try to flash it on any other device or variant otherwise permanent might cause to it.
- Dont forget to charge your phone at least up to 70% so that installation will proceed uninterruptedly.
- Since all the data on mobile gets wiped during the process, it is better to take a backup of important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory.
- Make sure that you have already installed custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery or TWRP recovery on mobile. Without this recovery you cannot flash ROM on the mobile.
Procedure to Flash SlimBean 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S I9000:
- First download SlimBean 4.2.1 for Galaxy S along with Gapps package for Jelly Bean. Gapps contain Google apps like Gmail, Maps, Play store etc. which are not present it custom ROM.
Downloadlatest build of SlimBean 4.2.1 from official page.
DownloadGapps and other Addons for SlimBean.
- Connect your mobile to computer through USB cable. Ensure that you have enabled USB debugging on. Copy both files to the external memory. Dont extract them.
- Disconnect mobile from PC. Switch off it and boot into recovery mode.
- For that press & holdVolume up + Home down + Power buttonsimultaneously until device boots into the recovery mode.
- Take a nandroid backup of current system. You might need it if something goes wrong. For that select backup & restore and then backup. This backup will be saved in external memory.(This step is not mandatory.)
- Nowwipe data/factory resetand thenwipe cache partitionto wipe all the data and caches respectively on the device.
- Next step is flashing of ROM. To do so selectinstall zip from sdcardand thenchoose zip from sdcard. Choose SlimBean 4.2.1 file for installation.
- This will take few minutes for installation.
- Repeat the step of install zip from sdcard and chose zip from sdcard. But this time chose Gapps Package. And so on you can go on installing SlimBean Add-ons by the same method as explained above.
- After successful flashing of both the files, select+++++go back+++++and thenreboot system now. First start may take a while.
Nice work!! SlimBean ROM based on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean is now running on your Samsung Galaxy S. Dont forget to share your views and report us how it is working for you. Feel free to ask any doubts through comments if you have. We will try to sort them out as soon as possible.
Tip:If you dont like this ROM or you are not comfortable with this ROM, you can easily return back to the previous ROM just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.