Google’s new flagship device i.e, Nexus 4 has been proven the best smartphone device in the Nexus family. Up till now it has got all latest Android updates from Google. Moreover there is no famous custom ROM that doesn’t exists or support Nexus 4. Whenever Google has rolled a new update, developers have shown an interest in making custom OS for this device. Custom ROM like Cyanogenmod 10.1 has been ported already. And now its time for AOKP (another famous custom OS maker) to show some love towards LG Nexus 4.
AOKP previously rolled out the Milestone 1 update which was based on Android 4.1 (not for this device as it runs Android 4.2 on-board). Now they’ve released MR1 build 1 update based on Android 4.2.1 (currently available for 4 devices- Nexus 7 Wi-Fi, Galaxy Nexus GSM, Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4). AOKP has added some new & exciting features in this build. You can find the list of changelog & new features included in MR1 build 1 from here.
Read on further to learn how you can update your Nexus 4 with AOKP custom ROM.
Disclaimer: The following article is considered as risky and can cause damage to your device. Do not follow this article if you are not aware of all these things. Read the article completely and follow all the steps at your own risk. If any damage caused to your device due to this process, we or AOKP team can’t be taken guilty or responsible.
The given tutorial is applicable only for Google Nexus 4 bearing model number E960. Dont implement it to any other mobile or variant else you will get some unwanted result or permanent damage might cause to your mobile.
- Ensure that you have charged your Nexus at least up to 70% so that installation process wont get interrupted due to lack of battery power.
- It is highly recommended to take a backup of all important data like SMS/MMS, APN, contacts etc. since it can be restored back if anything goes wrong during the installation.
- You must have USB drivers installed on your computer. If you haven’t installed it already, you can download & install them manually. Download link for USB drivers is given below.
- USB Drivers for Nexus 4.
- You must have unlocked the bootloader & installed Clockworkmod Recovery on your device. If you haven’t done this yet, you can follow this guide for the same.
Procedure to Install LiquidSmooth ROM on Your Google Nexus 4:
- Download AOKP JB-MR1 build 1 package from Here.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
Google Apps. | Filename: gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip (89.98 MB)
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode on it & transfer both the files (without extracting them) on the root directory of internal memory.
- Now You need to enter into Clockworkmod recovery. But before that, you have to boot into bootloader mode first.
- To boot into the bootloader mode, switch off your phone, hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Button simultaneously. Then phone will reboot and word Start will appear on screen. Now you are in bootloader mode, navigate to option Recovery Mode using volume keys and then press Power Button to reboot phone into CWM Recovery.
- As soon as you enter into recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option in the recovery menu, select it & then choose backup to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & then wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the internal memory. (Caution! Before performing this step ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before as it will erase all the data from internal memory, which includes sms/mms, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc.).
- Then select the option “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard” and navigate to the ROM package (which you have copied on internal memory previously) using volume keys. Use power button to select the file and tap on ‘Yes’ in next step to confirm the installation.
- Once ROM installation is finished follow the same procedure for flashing Google Apps (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip).
- AfterGoogle Apps installation is finished, you will land back into the Recovery. In Recovery select the option Reboot System to boot into AOKP homescreen. First start may take a bit long but don’t worry that’s normal.
Congrats ! AOKP Custom ROM based on latest Android 4.2 is now up & running on your LG Nexus 4. Now customize your phone as much as you can (of course with AOKP panel). And lastly do let us know how AOKP is serving you. Enjoy..