Samsung Galaxy S4 is the first Samsung device which runs on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Now looks like Samsung is looking forward to roll out this update for other mobiles also. And the first one is predecessor of Galaxy S4 i.e Galaxy S3. Though Samsung hasn’t released it’s official update yet, its leaked firmware is available right now. Lets have a look at some of its features
- Android 4.2.2 Build ID: JDQ39
- New S4 Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, two Unlock effects (Ripple and Light), improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
- New Additions in Notification Center
- Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface Exactly like the S4)
- Addition of Voice controls (Lets you control various parts of the phone using voice commands Galaxy S4 feature)
- Gallery modes have white background (When changing gallery modes to 3D the background changes to white)
- New S-Voice (from S4)
- New smart switch widget
As this is a test build there is possibility of few bugs as Samsung is still working on it. Of course Samsung will release this update for Galaxy S3 when stable firmware is available. From the above features it is clear that your mobile will almost like a their flagship device S4. So just follow few simple steps and enjoy android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Your Samsung Galaxy S3.
Disclaimer: The following procedure is considered as risky; if you dont follow it properly your mobile may get bricked permanently. So it is recommended for beginners that they should read the article completely and carefully before executing the steps. We are not responsible for any damage happen to your mobile after implementing these steps.
This leaked firmware is intended only for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. (International variant) Flashing it on any other variant or mobile might give you some unwanted results.
Note: This pre-release firmware and not an official update from Samsung. So think before installing it.
- Ensure that the phone is charged at least up to 70% so that the process wont get interrupted.
- You must take a backup of all the important data on the phone like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card since it gets wiped permanently during installation.
- Mobile drivers must be installed on your computer.
- Also disable all security related software like anti-virus.
Procedure to Install Official Android 4.2.2 XXUFME7 Jelly Bean Firmware on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300:
- First download Android 4.2.2 XXUFME7 official Jelly Bean firmware for Galaxy S3. Extract it in a new folder on computer.
Click here to download.
- For flashing this firmware, you will require a special tool known as Odin. It is official software of Samsung used for flashing the firmware. Download Odin 3.07(or Odin v3.04) and install it on your computer. You can use mobile Odin also.
Odin-multi downloader v3.07.
- Next switch off your mobile and boot it into downloading mode or Odin mode. For that press and hold volume down + home button + power button simultaneously until mobile vibrates.
- By that time open Odin multi-downloader which you installed earlier. Connect mobile to PC via USB cable.
- You will see that one of your ID:COM section is turned blue it means your device is connected properly. Added! Message in Odins message box also implies same thing. If you dont get it make sure that you have installed proper mobile drivers on your computer.
- Now click PDA button and select I9300XXUFME7_I9300OXAFME7_I9300XXUFME7_HOME.tar.md5 file. Ensure that Auto-Reboot and F.Resest Time is checked.
- Dont click anywhere else in the Odin.
- Finally hit the Start button to initialize installation. It will take few minutes for installation.
- In the end your mobile gets rebooted automatically showing pass message Odins message box.
- If due to some reason your phone gets stuck or if you get fail message in Odins message box, then disconnect the mobile, remove and re-insert battery and repeat the above procedure again.
- Now again switch off your mobile either by long pressing power button or removing battery.
- Boot into recovery mode by pressing volume up + home + power button simultaneously. Recovery mode will appear in front of you. Since touch doesnt work in recovery mode, you have to use volume keys for navigation. And power key for selection.
- Select wipe data and then wipe cache partitions afterwards. This will erase all the data on your mobile.
- Finally select reboot system now. (First boot takes more time than usual.)
Congratulation! Your Samsung Galaxy S3 is now running Android 4.2.2 XXUFME7 Jelly Bean firmware. Do let us know how it is working for you. Ask your doubts through comments. We will come up with solutions as early as possible.