Samsung Galaxy S Plus is one of the unfortunate mobile which didn’t get any official update of Android 4.0 ICS or Android 4.1 Jelly Bean despite having better configuration. Nevertheless it is one of the favorite toy of developers. A tremendous Android development has been going on this mobile. You just name the custom ROM and it is their for S plus.
AOKP(Android Open Kang Project) is one of the most famous custom ROM based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean is also available for Galaxy S Plus. If you are tired of Touch-Wiz UI then it the best custom ROM as it based on AOSP features.
Moreover this custom ROM is much stable than the others and all the things work properly.(Custom ROM doesn’t support photosphere.) So just follow few simple steps written ahead and install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via AOKP custom ROM.
Disclaimer: The steps mentioned in the article written ahead are considered as risky and can cause damage to your mobile. It is suggested that you should read article carefully before executing any of the step. We or developers cannot to be held for any damage or brick cause to your phone after implementing these steps.
This build of AOKP custom ROM is compatible only for Samsung Galaxy S Plus with model number I9001. Dont try to flash it on any other model or device otherwise you will end up with a permanent damage.
Note: Though flashing of custom ROM voids the warranty of mobile, it can be restored back by flashing official firmware.
- First of all enable USB debugging on. Here are the steps to do so.
Settings-> Applications ->Development-> USB debugging.
- Charge your phone at least up to 75% before proceeding further so that it wont get switched off during installation process.
- It is suggested that you should take a backup of all your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card as all the data gets wiped permanently during installation.
Most important! You must have installed Clockworkmod recovery (or ) to flash this custom ROM. Without any custom recovery you cannot move ahead. Here is the procedure to flash CWM recovery.
Procedure to install AOKP custom ROM based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S Plus:
- First of download AOKP custom ROM for Galaxy S Plus I9001from official development page.(Download latest build.) Also you need to flash Gapps (contains Google apps like Gmail, Play store etc.) which are not presnt in custom ROM.
- AOKP custom ROM – Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
Gapps for Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
- Once you finished downloading these files, connect your mobile to PC via USB cable and copy both files to the external memory card at convenient location.
- Next disconnect mobile from PC and switched it off.
- Now boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding volume up + home + power button simultaneously until mobile vibrates. And after few seconds you will see recovery menu.
- First take a nandroid backup which might be useful in future if anything goes wrong. To do so select backup & restore option and then backup. This will create nandroid backup which will be saved in the external memory card.
- Now select wipe data/factory rest and subsequently wipe cache partitions. This will wipe all the data on your phone so make sure that you have taken backup of important things before executing this step.
- Next is to flash the custom ROM. Select install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. Highlight AOKP.zip file from the given list of files. Confirm it in next step by selecting yes.
- Wait for few minutes and finally you will see recovery menu again as soon as the installation gets completed.
- Repeat the step of install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard for Gapps package.
- After successful flashing of both the files, again wipe data and wipe cache partitions to avoid boot loops.
- At the last select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system now. First reboot takes more time than usual.
Congrats! Your Samsung Galaxy S Plus is now running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via AOKP custom ROM. Do let us know how is it working for you. If you any doubts regarding procedure, ask them through the comments. We will try our level best to solve them.
Tip: If you dont like this ROM and if you want to go back to previous ROM, then it is possible if you have nandroid backup. Boot your mobile into recovery mode, select backup & restore option then restore and then chose latest backup to restore.