LG Optimus 2X is the first phone in the dual-core processor range. It ha been upgraded to Android 4.0.4 ICS from Android 2.2 Froyo. As there is no sign of any official update of Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, custom ROM is the only way to get this update. We have already posted about Cyanogenmod 10.1 which is based Android 4.2.1, now let us concentrate on new ROM called Avatar ROM.
This Avatar ROM is combination of Cyanogenmod and MIUI custom ROM. It uses Cyanogenmod as a base and trademark MIUI themes are incorporated on it. Of course it has features from Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, moreover you will get MIUI feel in it.
As it is compiled by making changes in the Cyanogenmod, you might found few bugs in it. But don’t worry these will be overcome soon. Just follow few simple steps written ahead to install Android 4.2.2 via Avatar ROM on your LG Optimus 2X P990.
Disclaimer: The steps mentioned in the following tutorial are considered as risky and may cause damage to your device. If you are not aware of all these things please do not follow this article. Follow all the steps at your own risk. We will not be responsible for any damage cause to your device after flashing this ROM.
This article is strictly intended for LG Optimus 2X with model number P990 . Implementing these steps on any other mobile or tablet might give you some undesired results.
- Make sure that your phone is charged at least up to 70% so that the process will not be interrupted due to low battery since it is time consuming.
- We suggest you to take a backup all your important data such as contacts, messages, memo etc. to your external memory as all the data gets wiped during the installation process.
- For flashing this ROM, your mobile must have Clockworkmod Recovery or TWRP recovery installed on it. Without any custom recovery you cannot flash any custom ROM.
Procedure to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on LG Optimus 2X P990 via Avatar custom ROM:
- First download Avatar ROM for LG Optimus 2X from the official development page.
Click here to download.
- Also you will need to flash Gapps (contains gapps like Gmail, Gtalk, Play Store etc.) separately on this mobile as custom ROM doesnt contain any Google apps.
- Gapps for Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
- Copy this ROM file and Google Apps file to the external memory card of mobile by connecting it to the computer and enable mass storage mode.
- Then disconnect your device from computer and boot it into the Recovery mode. For that press & hold Volume down + Power Key simultaneously until recovery mode opens.
- Now first take a nandroid backup of a current ROM so that it can be restored back. (In case you do something wrong) For that select backup & restore option and then backup. This backup will be saved in the external memory.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches respectively from the phone memory.
- After finishing above process select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. A list of files will appear on the screen from that select Avatar ROM zip file. Confirm it by pressing yes in next step.
- This will take few minutes for installation. In the end you will see recovery menu again.
- Repeat the above procedure of install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard for Gapps.
- After successful installation of both the files, select +++++go back+++++ and then select reboot system now to restart the phone.
Fantastic! Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean is now running on your LG Optimus 2X via Avatar custom ROM. Dont forget to share your opinion about this custom ROM. You can ask your queries regarding the procedure through comments. We will come up with solution as early as possible.
Tip: If you dont like this ROM or you are not comfortable with this ROM, you can easily return back to the previous ROM just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.