Samsung Galaxy S Plus is one of the unlucky device which doesn’t receive any official update of Jelly Bean despite having better features. But it has got tremendous amount of Android development. Many custom ROM are available for it based on different OS version.
The latest one is Rootbox ROM. This custom ROM is based on pure AOSP. So you will get the pure Android feel in it. It is based on latest Android version 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Rootbox ROM is the mixture of Cyanogemod And AOKP custom ROM in a single package.
As we know that Android 4.2.2 is still under development, you might found few bugs in it. Lets see some of the features of Rootbox ROM.
- AOKP Feature.
- CM Profiles
- Per App Tablet UI
- OTA Updates – Goo Manager
- Navigation Bar Colour
- Variable size pattern lockscreen
- LCD Density Changer
- Disable Fullscreen Keyboard (Landscape mode)
- Lockscreen Shortcuts (Paranoid)
- Pie (Paranoid Android)
- Lockscreen Targets (CM)
- Launch Music app on Headset connection
- Lockscreen Hardware Keys Remapping”
So execute few simple steps written ahead and install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S Plus via Rootbox custom ROM.
Disclaimer: The article written ahead is considered as risky and can cause damage to your mobile. It is requested that you should not follow this if you are not aware of all these things. Follow all the steps carefully at your own risk. We or developers are not responsible for any damage cause to your mobile after executing these steps.
This custom ROM is compatible only for Samsung Galaxy S Plus with model number I9001. Flashing it on any other mobile or device might cause permanent damage to it.
- Ensure that your mobile is charged at least up to 70% so that installation wont get interrupted due to low battery.
- Take a backup of all your important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card. Since all the data gets wiped during installation process.
- You must have installed Clockworkmod recovery to flash this custom ROM. You cannot proceed further without having any custom recovery. Follow this article to install Clockworkmod recovery on your mobile.
Procedure to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via Rootbox custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S Plus:
- First download Android 4.2.2 Rootbox custom ROM for Galaxy S Plus from official development page. (Download the latest build.)
- Click here to download.
- Download Gapps package for Jelly Bean since Gapps are not present in any custom ROM, you have to install them separately.
- Click here to download.
- Connect your mobile to the computer via USB cable and enable mass storage mode on. Copy both the files to the external memory card. Dont extract them.
- Then disconnect your mobile from computer.
- Now boot your mobile into CWM recovery mode. For this, first switch off your mobile then press and hold volume up + power button + home button simultaneously until you land into CWM recovery.
- First take a nandroid backup of current system so that it can be restored if anything goes wrong. So first select backup & restore option and then backup in next step. This backup is saved in the external memory. (This step is not mandatory.)
- Next select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition for wiping data & cache respectively from the phone memory. (Make sure that you have taken the backup of all contain from phone memory as it gets wiped in this step.)
- Now the device ready to flash custom ROM. Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Select rootbox.zip file for installation. Confirm it in next step.
- Installation will take few minutes. In the end you will land in recovery menu again.
- Repeat the above step of install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. This time select Gapps file (gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip). Select yes on next screen for confirmation.
- After successful flashing of both files again wipe data and wipe cache partitions.
- Finally select +++++go back+++++ option. Then reboot system now.
Great job!! Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean is now running on your Samsung Galaxy S Plus via Rootbox custom ROM. Do let us know how it is working for you. If you have any queries regarding the procedure then ask through the comments. We will come up with solution soon.
Tip: If you dont like this ROM and if you want to go back to previous ROM, then it is possible if you have nandroid backup. Boot your mobile into recovery mode, select backup & restore option then restore and then chose latest backup to restore.