After the success of Galaxy S, Samsung decided to do some modifications in this model and launch its new variant. As a result they Galaxy S Advance and S Plus released. Galaxy S Advance is lucky to get official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update. On the other hand S Plus didn’t get it.
We have already posted about official XXLPY and XXLPZ Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmwares for Galaxy S Advance. Still you might be tempted to upgrade it to Android 4.2.1 via Custom ROM since the official update is unlikely to receive for S Advance.
And the good thing is that Cyanogenmod 10.1 based on this version of Android is already compiled. You will get feel of genuine Android 4.2.1 features through this custom update. You might come across few bugs as it is alpha build.
- Camera — using camera stub
- Audio — blobs are being added to the vendor repo
- WiFi — module loads but other things needs to be fixed
- RIL — blobs are being added to vendor repo
- Vibrator — driver is not working properly
So just go ahead and upgrade your Samsung Galaxy S Advance to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean via Cyanogenmod 10.1 custom ROM.
Disclaimer: The steps mentioned in the further article are considered as risky and may cause damage to your mobile. It is requested that you should not follow these steps if you are not aware of all these things. Read the article completely before implementing steps. We or developers are not responsible for any damage cause to your mobile after implementing these steps.
This article is strictly intended only for Samsung Galaxy S Advance with model number I9070. Don’t try to flash it on any other mobile else you might get some unwanted results
- Before implementing the steps, check that you have charged your mobile at least up to 70% so that so that installation will proceed without any interruption.
- It is recommended to take a backup of all your personal important data on mobile like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc.to the external memory since they gets wiped during installation.
- Most important! In order to flash any custom ROM, you must have installed custom recovery like CWM or TWRP recovery on your mobile. Click here to flash TWRP recovery on mobile.
Procedure to flash Cyanogenmod 10.1 on Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070:
- First download latest version of Cyanogenmod 10.1 for Samsung Galaxy S Advance from official development page.
Click here to download.
- Also download Gapps package for Jelly Bean since Google apps like Gmail, Play Store, maps etc. are not present in any custom ROM.
Click here to download.
- After downloading both the files, connect mobile to computer and enable mass storage mode on. Copy both files the external memory card. Dont extract them.
- Now switch off the mobile. Boot into recovery mode. For that press & hold volume up + power button + home button simultaneously until recovery mode opens. (You can release power button after Samsung logo appears on screen but keep pressing other buttons.)
- First take a nandroid backup of a current ROM so that it can be restored back. To do so select backup & restore option from recovery menu & on next screen select backup. This nandroid backup of current system is saved to the external memory.
- For wiping data and clearing cache partitions on phone memory select wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partitions respectively.
- Now you are ready for flashing custom ROM. Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Go through the list of files and select Cyanogenmod 10.1.zip file for installation. Confirm it by selecting yes in next step.
- Few minutes will be required for this step. After that you will see recovery menu again.
- Repeat the above procedure of install zip from sdcard and choose zip from sdcard for Gapps.
- After successful flashing of both files, select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system now.
Well done! Your Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 is now running on Android 4.2.1 via Cyanogenmod 10.1. Dont forget to share your reviews about this ROM. You can ask any doubts regarding the article. We try our level best to solve them.
Tip: In case you want to revert to previous ROM you can easily do it just by entering into Recovery mode. Then select the Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & then select restore choose your latest backup to restore.