Galaxy Gio is one of the most famous budget Android phones from Samsung. This device runs on Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread which was little out dated OS in the ICS, Jelly Bean era. With the hardware limitations, there is no way that Samsung will announce Jelly Bean update for it. But this doesnt mean you cannot install Jelly Bean on this mobile. Custom ROM is one way to install it.
There are many custom ROMs which are compiled for Galaxy Gio. Most of them are based on Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread. But the latest Cyanogenmod 10.1 is based on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean. Thanks to senior XDA member OldDroid for compiling this for you. Cyanogenmods are always considered as stable ROM among the others. But since this ROM is unofficial one you will find few bugs. As they are working on it, soon they will come up with stable version.
Follow the steps written ahead to install Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy Gio via Cyanogenmod 10.1.
Disclaimer: Steps mentioned in the further article are considered as risky and can cause damage to your mobile. It is requested that you should not go for it if you are unaware of all these things. Follow all the steps at your own risk. We or developers are not responsible for any damage cause to your mobile.
This Cyanogenmod 10.1 is compiled only for Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660. Installing it in any other mobile can cause permanent damage to it.
- Mobile must be charged at least up to 70% so that installation process will not get interrupted due to low battery.
- Your all mobile data gets wiped during flashing of ROM so dont forget to take a backup of important personal data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory.
- In order to flash custom ROM on your mobile, install custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery or TWRP recovery on your mobile.
Procedure to flash Cyanogenmod 10.1 on Samsung Galaxy Gio:
- First of all download Cyanogenmod 10.1 for Samsung Galaxy Gio and also download Gapps package (contains Gmail, Gtalk, play store etc.) for Jelly Bean since Google apps are not present in custom ROM.
- Click here to download Cyanogenmod 10.1
- Click here to download Gapps.
- Connect your mobile to PC and enable USB debugging on. Copy both the files which you have downloaded earlier to the external memory. Dont extract them.
- Disconnect your mobile and boot it into recovery mode. To do so, first switch off mobile and then press and hold volume up + home button + power button simultaneously until you land into recovery mode.
- For taking nandroid backup select backup & restore followed by backup. This will take a nandroid backup which will be saved in external memory. (This step is not mandatory.)
- Select wipe data/factory reset followed by wipe cache partition. This will wipe your data & cache respectively from phone memory.
- Next flash the custom ROM. For that select install zip from sdcard followed by chose zip from sdcard. Select Cyanogenmod 10.1 .zip file for installation. Confirm it by selecting yes in next step.
- It will take few minutes for installation.
- As stated earlier Google apps are not present in this ROM, you need to flash it separately. For that repeat above step of install zip from sdcard and then chose zip from sdcard and then chose Gapps file.
- This will take few minutes for installation. In the end, you will see recovery menu again. Select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system.
Fantastic!!Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean is now running on your mobile via Cyanogenmod 10.1. Dont forget to share your views about the ROM.
Tip: If you want to go back to previous ROM or firmware, then restore nandroid backup. For that select boot into recovery mode, select backup & restore and then restore. Select latest nandroid backup.