Samsung released Galaxy S way behind in March 2010. After getting overwhelming response, Samsung decided to release its next generations. As a result, its next generations like S2, S3 arrived and even they are planning for S4. But during this course of revolution, Galaxy S became out-dated. So they decided release its clone which will have better specifications and performance than traditional S.
Hence they come up with idea of S Duos and S Plus. The former runs on Android 4.0 ICS, while the later runs on Android 2.3 Gingerbread. When Google unveiled Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, immediately Samsung announced the list of devices that will be promoted to this update. In spite of having high configuration, Galaxy S Plus was unfortunate for not to receive this update.
Now with release of Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, Gingerbread looks quite out-dated in many aspects. Since Samsung are not going to give any official update for S Plus, you have to depend on custom ROM for such up gradation. And guess what the most famous custom ROM Cyanogenmod 10.1 has been compiled for it.
As we know that CM10.1 is based on latest Android version 4.2.1 Jelly Bean, it is boosted with the features like daydream, photo sphere, gesture typing etc. As this is Cyanogenmod 10.1 is in alpha states, you may face few issues which soon will be overcome.
So go through the article written ahead to install Android 4.2.1 based CM10.1 custom ROM for Galaxy S Plus.
Disclaimer: The steps mentioned in below are article involved of risk and may cause permanent damage to your mobile. It is requested that you shouldnt follow this article if you are not aware of these things. Read complete article before any implementation. If any damage is caused to your mobile, neither we nor developers are responsible for it.
This article is strictly written for Samsung Galaxy S Plus with model number I9001. Dont try to flash it on any other model or variant else you will get some undesired results.
- Dont forget to charge our mobile at least up to 70% so that installation will proceed uninterruptedly.
- Take a backup of all your important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card as all the data on the phone gets vanished completely during installation.
- For flashing any custom ROM on mobile, we need a custom recovery. So install any custom recovery like CWM or TWRP recovery. Go through this tutorial to install CWM on your mobile.
Procedure to Flash Cyanogenmod 10.1 custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S Plus:
- Download Cyanogenmod 10.1 for Samsung Galaxy S Plus from official development page.
Click here to download it.
- Also you will need to flash Gapps package separately on the mobile as custom ROM does not contain any Google app like Gtalk, Maps, Gmail, Play store etc.
Click her to download it.
- Connect your device to computer via USB cable. Enable USB debugging on and copy both files to the external memory. Dont extract them.
- After copying both files to the external memory, disconnect it from PC. Boot your mobile into recovery mode.
- For that first switch it off and then press volume up + home button + power button simultaneously. Hold it for few seconds until you boot into recovery mode. (You can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until recovery mode shows up).
- It is recommended that you should take a nandroid backup. This is done by selecting backup & restore option and then followed by backup. This nandroid backup which is a backup of whole system will be stored in external memory. (This step is mandatory.)
- For wiping data and cache partitions in phone memory select wipe data/factory reset followed by wipe cache partitions.
- Now we are going to flash ROM. So select install zip from sdcard and then chose zip from sdcard. Navigate to the Cyanogenmod 10.1 zip file and flash it by selecting yes in next step.
- It will take few minutes for installing and in the end you will see recovery menu again.
- Repeat the above step of install zip from sdcard and then chose zip from sdcard. But this time chose Gapps zip file for installation.
- After successful flashing of both the files, select +++++go back+++++ option. And then reboot system now.
Thats it!! Cyanogenmod 10.1 based on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean is now running on your Samsung Galaxy S Plus I9001. Share your views about this custom ROM.
Tip: If you dont like this ROM or you are not comfortable with this ROM, you can easily return back to the previous ROM just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.