HTC One X+ is a advanced and upgraded version of HTC One X which was HTC’s flagship device for the first half of 2012 having stunning features like an impressive display, powerful processor quad core, ample memory and storage. HTC’s One series performed great in market and after few months later, they launched its successor: the One X+. With all amazing features of its predecessor, the device improves upon the original by having faster 1.7Tegra GHz 3 processor, more battery backup and 64 GB internal memory.
One X+ comes with on board Android 4.1 Jelly Bean but meanwhile Google has released an upgraded version of Jelly Bean having Android version 4.2.1. Android 4.2 has latest features like actionable notifications, photosphere camera, daydream, improved Google Now, amezing widgets etc. Unfortunately up-till now HTC have not given any official update for this device so only option you have is custom ROMs.
Here is world’s most famous custom ROM Cyanogenmod brought to you by Recognized XDA Contributor Lloir. Cyanogenmod 10.1 is a custom ROM based on Android 4.2 so you can enjoy all latest features of it. Keep in mind that being an unofficial release it may have some minor bugs but as updates keep coming, they will be fixed. Read on further to know how to update your HTC One X+ to Cyanogenmod 10.1:
Disclaimer: Risk is involved in the procedure discussed below. Please dont follow this guide unless you are aware of these things. We should not be held responsible for any damage caused to your phone.
Attention! Steps involved in this article are meant only for HTC One X+ (International variant). Trying this on any other device may result in undesirable outcomes.
- Your phone must be charged at least up to 70% battery level.
- USB debugging mode must be enabled.
- Dont forget to take a backup of important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory as it gets vanished during installation.
- You must have unlocked bootloader of your device.
- Custom Recovery like CWM (Clockwork Mod Recovery) or TWRP must be installed on the phone.
Procedure to Install Cyanogenmod 10.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM on HTC One X+:
- You also have to separately flash the kernel. Download the image file from this development page.
- Since Google Apps are not pre-installed in the ROM, you have to separately download and flash them.
- Download Google Apps
- Now connect your phone to Computer and select mass storage mode to transfer downloaded files to SD card.
- Before installing the ROM, you have to flash kernel image through fastboot mode. To do the same, switch off your phone. Press and hold Power + Volume Down buttons to boot into bootloader mode first.
- Then highlight fastboot and press power button to get into it.
- Connect your phone to computer using USB cable.
- After connecting the phone to PC, phone drivers will get installed automatically. Now you are ready to flash kernel.
- If your phone is not detected, install HTC Sync Manager.
- Now download fastboot files from here and extract them in a folder.
- Copy the kernel image (.img file) to folder in which you have kept your fastboot files.
- In the same folder, right click while holding shift button and select Open command window here.
- A command window will appear on your screen. In command window type fastboot flash boot boot.img and press enter.
- On your screen you will get message OKAY/Finished. You have successfully flashed kernel. Now you can disconnect your phone from computer.
- In fastboot mode select option recovery to boot into custom recovery. Unless you do have touch type recovery, touch wont work therefore use Volume up/ Volume down buttons to scroll and power button to select.
- To create Nanroid backup of your current ROM, select backup/restore and on next screen select backup.
- In recovery select wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partition to clear all your previous data from phone memory.
- Now select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Then navigate to ROM package and select it. Confirm installation by pressing on yes.
- Once you have finished with ROM installation follow the same procedure for installing Google Apps.
- After Google Apps are installed select reboot system now to boot into Cyanogenmod 10.1 based on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.
That’s it!!! You have successfully installed Jelly Bean 4.2 in the form of Cyanogenmod 10.1 custom ROM on your HTC One X+. Visit development page for latest updates. Do report us how it is working for you through comments.
Tip: If you want to uninstall this ROM and return back to the stock one, you can easily do it just by booting into the recovery mode. Select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.